Smashing Eggs

1ADAM12

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Tioga, PA
Ths is very odd to me. Almost like twice a month an Americauna Egg is smashed. Not pecked or eaten but anialated lol. I have black australorp and speckled Sussex. It’s only the green eggs lol. Any ideas as to why????

Hmm have you seen her eating it maybe she is confused and thinks they are just crushed white things if not that then maybe it's just something inside of her that isn't exactly on track other than that I don't know what to say sorry

My wife and I work during the day. Most eggs are laid by noon to 1 pm and on weekends there are no problems. Seems to only happen during the week when we gather late!

That is interesting. Could be many reasons (well, maybe, since it is more colorful, the green eggs are more aesthetically attractive to inquisitive biddies?).

One reason could be occasional egg shell defects. Certain hens are more prone to defects than others. Defects can be caused by various reasons, including genetics, nutritional imbalances, changes in lighting and stress (often more present in hens at the bottom of the pecking order). I have a Buff Orpington who lays a soft shelled egg (aka shell-less egg. The only thing holding the albumen and yolk together is a thin membrane) about once every month or two (varying on season). Such eggs are often smashed before I get to them because they are so delicate.

I have 10 laying hens currently and a roo. They are new birds and just started laying a few months ago. The Americauna birds have laid a softer shell egg before but only a few times. Like you stated maybe they don’t like the odd color hahaha

Hello, some Hens take egg laying to an extreme and like to hop in and out of the nest if eggs are still in the Boxes. Sometimes two Hens pile in. I believe it because the eggs can't be collected early enough..How many nests do you have for the 10 layers?

Hello, some Hens take egg laying to an extreme and like to hop in and out of the nest if eggs are still in the Boxes. Sometimes two Hens pile in. I believe it because the eggs can't be collected early enough..How many nests do you have for the 10 layers?
There are 6 nesting boxes but they all have the same favorite one lol. Although the one that was smashed was with 2 other intact eggs at the opposite end of the favorite one.

If it’s only one egg every so often I won’t sweat it. If it becomes an everyday problem I will have to find the culprit. I have notciced lately the Speckled Sussex Roo really chases the girls in and out of the coop. He is being naughty lol

Back
Top Bottom