Smell After Butchering

kfreekave

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 11, 2013
The other day we processed our meat chickens. We have butchered our extra roosters in the past but this is our first experience with meat birds. After cleaning, we put them in a cooler of ice water and salt. The next day the water was still icy but there was a very strong smell. We dumped the water and added fresh ice, water, and salt, and then allowed them to rest for 48 hours. Once we were ready to put them in the freezer, there was still a smell to them. Is there something we did wrong? Is this normal? I can't imagine they went bad. It's been below 35 degrees outside here and these were in an icy cooler in the garage. They almost smell like deviled eggs or something similar.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose my investment in this meat!

We pluck by hand and if we do more than 15 at a time, the last ones kind of smell because they were not eviscerated quickly. How long of a time period was there between killing and eviscerating them?~~ also, there is a small duct by the liver called the bile duct, and if you break that it can cause a lasting smell if it gets on the meat, but it would likely have turned your hands green if you opened it accidently

We pluck by hand also. We figured that we averaged about 20 minutes per chicken so maybe that is the problem. I did puncture 1 bile duct out of the 22 that we processed but I knew it instantly! I do focus on trying hard to avoid them at all costs. We took that one and washed it instantly.

Thank you for your response.

I would say all of the above are viable answers but wanted to add another "maybe". In the non gmo battle that is going on some butchers that are slaughtering animals fed both types of diets are noticing a difference. They say that the animals fed gmo feed have a much stronger smell to them when slaughtered. They have also noticed a difference in the animals behavior. While the animals fed non gmo diets don't necessarily smell like roses they were much more tolerable than the gmo fed animals. Something to consider.

I would say all of the above are viable answers but wanted to add another "maybe". In the non gmo battle that is going on some butchers that are slaughtering animals fed both types of diets are noticing a difference. They say that the animals fed gmo feed have a much stronger smell to them when slaughtered. They have also noticed a difference in the animals behavior. While the animals fed non gmo diets don't necessarily smell like roses they were much more tolerable than the gmo fed animals. Something to consider.

Do you have references to site for that argument? I would be interested in reading it if you can. We buy local, I know exactly what goes into my birds, and it is not GMO. My chickens have a pretty strong smell to them. I have memories from butchering when I was a little girl. Wet feathers and chicken innards have always had a very distinct smell. This fall we filled three Turkey tags, and the turkeys we butchered were full of organic wild grasses, acorns, bugs and leaves. The smell they blessed us with while we butchered was twice as strong as my chickens.

Do you have references to site for that argument? I would be interested in reading it if you can. We buy local, I know exactly what goes into my birds, and it is not GMO. My chickens have a pretty strong smell to them. I have memories from butchering when I was a little girl. Wet feathers and chicken innards have always had a very distinct smell. This fall we filled three Turkey tags, and the turkeys we butchered were full of organic wild grasses, acorns, bugs and leaves. The smell they blessed us with while we butchered was twice as strong as my chickens.
I was hoping no one would ask me for references.
tongue.png
I have dug through so many gmo articles lately I doubt I can find it. I think I know of a video interview with a doctor who did some research that mentions it. I will look and pm you if I find it.

Thanks! I am quite interested in the GMO/Organic debate, but the first thing I learned in High School English class was to never cite something you can't back up.
wink.png
I have never heard that argument against GMO before, and if it's true, it's pretty disturbing.

I did some googling and had several responses. The link below talks about the odor and behavior under the paragraph titled "Are Genetically Engineered Foods Affecting Your Mood and Behavior"?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/15/dr-don-huber-interview-part-2.aspx

The video I referenced is linked below. Sorry I don't have the time to view it to tell you when they mention the smell and behavior. None the less its a very informative interview backed by research.

I have heard this argument against GMO feeds as well. Maybe this is some evidence that the feeds do create a stronger smell than a organic feed.

Back
Top Bottom