Smell Deterants

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sab, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    So I'm raking up dog poop out of my fenced back yard and thinking as I toss the stuff over the fence.... I wonder if this stuff placed around the chicken coop would keep varmints away. Like supposedly putting dog fur/hair from a groomer around in the garden deters varmints.... What'cha think? Poop over the fence or around the coop??

2. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    I'm thinkin' over the fence... at least! Surrounding anything with dog poops just seems wrong smell wise. It may work with preditors but would keep me out as well. It scores an 8 on the eww ick scale.

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Umm I dont think dog crap works but I heard if you bring the dog over to the chicken coop to "mark" it,it will deter predators.

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    nah, I wish....had plenty of predators and non seemed bothered by my yard full of dog poo. atleast not fox, coyotes or bear....haven't seen coon evidence yet so maybe it works for coons (or just a coincidence)

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I dont think the dog poo will work, unfortunately. However, I have heard that having an adult man urinate around the area where the chickens are kept, will make predators think twice about coming nearer. Maybe it has something to do with the hormones in the urine?

I dunno, its probably just another old wives tale...

6. lucky acres

lucky acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Male Human urine is probably the best deterant.. also Female dog urine.. it is stronger than male dogs..

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Whatever scent / urine is used, the predator to be impressed must occasionally associate scent with a threat it can also see and hear. Otherwise your predator will come to think no danger is present.

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I agree with the above post . And I wouldn't put female dog poo/urine out if the dog is in heat either.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by