Smell free run floor

morgannn

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
Hey guys, I have a run that has a sand floor in it that smells to HIGH HEAVEN. I clean it out regularly, etc so I realize that sand isn't the answer for me. I thought when I put it in that it would stay dry since my run is covered, but no. It gets soaked. Regularly. And then it smells terrible. So does anyone know of something I can put down instead of sand? I thought maybe pea gravel, but that would be hard to clean. And mulch gets very hot in the south. What are your opinions?

I have sand as well on my floor and absolutely love it because it's so easy to clean. When it does get wet from rain, I throw some PDZ on it and it helps absorb the moisture. Have you given that a try yet?

I have sand as well on my floor and absolutely love it because it's so easy to clean. When it does get wet from rain, I throw some PDZ on it and it helps absorb the moisture. Have you given that a try yet?

I have some, but I haven't tried it yet. It seems like a lot of Pdz to go through every time it rains!

The real trick is to fix the water getting into the run...something I had to battle. There are several methods but it will depend on your initial setup. If you can stop the water from getting in, then the PDZ is great. My coop/run are 100% PDZ and there is zero smell...poop turns into little "rocks" within hours. I've got sand outside the run now which keeps the water from seeping under - it just does a little "river" and drains down hill now. Even with really strong rain it's staying dry. Below is after the mod and it pretty much stays this way now.

Last edited:
The real trick is to fix the water getting into the run...something I had to battle. There are several methods but it will depend on your initial setup. If you can stop the water from getting in, then the PDZ is great. My coop/run are 100% PDZ and there is zero smell...poop turns into little "rocks" within hours. I've got sand outside the run now which keeps the water from seeping under - it just does a little "river" and drains down hill now. Even with really strong rain it's staying dry. Below is after the mod and it pretty much stays this way now.
Mine is on a slope, so water runs in from the back and blows in from the front. I think I can divert the water in the back somehow, but I don't know how I could keep the water from blowing in on the front.

Here's a pic. Water flows in from the back, because of the slope, and then blow in from the front

A good mix of different sizes, shapes of dry plant material is the best for long term, relatively maintenance free odor reduction in run.
Any sand type material will eventually become saturated with pulverized poop, the stink will overcome the zeolites(PDZ) capacity for odor absorption.

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Back
Top Bottom