Smell in incubator

Miss Guinea Longtail

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2018
hello everyone I perchased a incubator that was only used once the girl said she tried but one of the eggs exploded in it so she’s done with incubating,
my question is now the incubator smells I washed it twice and it still smells how can I get the smell out I only use dish detergent I don’t want to put no eggs in there until the smell is gone

Yes I tried the dish soap 2 times but never tried baking soda I’ll try that and if it don’t work then I’ll try the bleach I’m just scared witht he bleach burning into the styrofoam thanks so much everyone
Even fresh lemon and baking soda and let sit for an hour...:frow

Following along.....
Curious if a foamie can be effectively cleaned after a major stinky.
I would think once it soaks in there's no getting it out and truly clean again.

It might look and even smell clean,
but once heat and humidity is up (100F / 80%),
perfect breeding round for organisms to grow again.

I had a foam LG that was received in truly dreadful condition. It still had old eggshells and hatching gunk ( I think from an exploded egg ) all over the side. There were cobwebs in the corners, even. I put a strong bleach solution in the bottom, soaked it overnight, and then put it in the sun for a while. I ended up getting hatch rates up to 91% in it; I would have gotten 100% except one egg was a malposition and I didn't assist.

Last edited:
We use bleach sometimes if stains are trouble sum but sometimes that chemical causes leaks in styro-bators..
:oldWater down the bleach.... :confused:

Smells- we have a Dollar General cheap spray bottle and have a mixture of Listerine (original formula) mouthwash and h2o 50/50 and spray out the bottom of the bator.
thumb blue.gif

For explosions, I would recommend removing the heater and control board before attempting to sterilize the top half. It only takes seconds to unscrew and dismantle the components.
Place the pans in the sunshine to dry. Ultraviolet light kills bacteria as well.
Best regards..

I had a foam LG that was received in truly dreadful condition. It still had old eggshells and hatching gunk ( I think from an exploded egg ) all over the side. There were cobwebs in the corners, even. I put a strong bleach solution in the bottom, soaked it overnight, and then put it in the sun for a while. I ended up getting hatch rates up to 91% in it; I would have gotten 100% except one egg was a malposition and I didn't assist.
.....and no more stinky, even at lockdown humidity??

I have one in much the same condition, it stunk so bad I just set it out in the garage for weeks. Was no rotten or exploding egg, just dirtyish ones. I had bleached it but maybe nor for long or strong enough.

.....and no more stinky, even at lockdown humidity??

I have one in much the same condition, it stunk so bad I just set it out in the garage for weeks. Was no rotten or exploding egg, just dirtyish ones. I had bleached it but maybe nor for long or strong enough.
Yep. Actually, maybe I bleached it multiple times? I don't remember, that was two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom