Smell problem

the cage is a pain to clean out 2 days after I clean the cage it smells horrible
It sounds like the reason it stinks is that it is wet. Three things can happen to organic material. Organic material can be bedding, food, or poop. If it is too dry for microbes to live and reproduce it does not decompose. It just sits there. It doesn't small and can stay forever. If it is damp enough for the microbes to get enough moisture to live and reproduce but not too wet for them to get fresh air, aerobic microbes break it down. You don't get a bad smell, more of a healthy earthy smell. If it is too wet for those aerobic (oxygen breathing) microbes to get oxygen, anaerobic microbes take over. Their waste products create a strong smell and can be pretty slimy. A wet brooder, coop, or run can also harbor diseases.

Where is the wet coming from? It could be from the environment somehow, maybe rain getting in there. Or it gets wet and just doesn't dry out. Your waterer could be leaking, unless the type of waterer you are using is perfectly level they can leak. A very common cause is that the poop builds up so thick that it doesn't dry out. It often takes two or three days for those anaerobic microbes to build up to a smelly level.

Chickens poop wherever they are, during the day and at night. Since they are not moving around at night the area under the roosts often see a huge build-up of poop which can stay wet. Even of we have a huge amount of room many of us use droppings boards to manage that build-up. If space is really small they may not roam around enough to spread the poop out so daytime poop can build up too.

The way to eliminate the smell is to get rid of the wet and keep it dry. So where is the wet coming from?

Ok so I have seven Serema’s 3 pairs in dog cages and the smell gets horrible and I was wondering if there was a easier way
If you follow the link in my signature below you can get some of my thoughts on space requirements. I've noticed that the tighter I pack them the more behavioral problems I have, the harder I have to work, and the less flexibility I have to handle issues that come up. It sounds like you may be experiencing the last two. You don't have any flexibility in how you manage that other than to work harder managing the poop if poop build-up is your real problem. If the waterer is leaking fixing that may help you but I really think the poop build-up is your core problem.

Each flock is different and we manage them differently. Even if you follow the general guidelines as far as square feet per chicken you can still run into problems. Or you may find that it is more space than you absolutely have to have, especially as far as behavioral problems go. The work harder and flexibility parts still hold true, whether they are huge Jersey Giants or tiny Seramas.

My general advice is to provide as much room as you reasonably can. I don't know what you have to work with. And go by what you see as opposed to what someone over the internet like me tells you that you will see or have to do. I think with that smell and how hard it is to clean what you have it's already telling you that you need more room.

Ok so I have seven Serema’s 3 pairs in dog cages and the smell gets horrible and I was wondering if there was a easier way the cage is a pain to clean out 2 days after I clean the cage it smells horrible
:welcome :ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC. You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many knowledgeable members who are willing to help you along your journey with any questions you may have. Enjoy :)

I agree with the other members that your birds needs more room. Feeding fermented feed will also help with controlling the odor. Best of luck. :)

The size of the coop is important but there is a lot more to consider. I prefer a wooden coop with a roost and lots of ventilation. This certainly better than a wireframe cage for the nightly hours. During the day they need space to walk around and scratch. Take a sand bath …

Chickens that are kept in a poor situation often get stressed and sick. I do hope to you see you again here, to help and give more advice for happy chickens.

Yes, please give us some more information and pictures of you’re setup , the bedding, ventilation, you’re climate and the feed you give you’re Serama’s.
I give them laying feed there laying like crazy also I live in a cold climate and I can’t keep them outside 1 pen is a pain to clean out and the rooster is pretty annoying I’m thinking of getting maybe a 5 foot cage and make a 5 foot run for them I’ll send more pictures when I get home as I’m in high school I spend hours in school researching about Serema’s and there life and I love them it’s just the matter of the cold though that effects the place I can put them and space

Last edited:
I am probably the youngest on here I’m **

I suggest you edit your post to remove your age. This is a public forum, and it's not a good idea to be posting personal information like that.
(Look for an "edit" button at the bottom of each post you make-- it should be available for about 24 hours.)

I know this forum has a number of members that are not adults. I don't know how old each one is (and I'm not asking), but you are probably not the youngest.

1 pen is a pain to clean out
One big pen would be easier than a bunch of little ones.

I agree with everyone else, these coops are way too small and verge on battery-sized. I’ve got 3 d’Uccles (close to the size of a Serama) in an Omlet Go with a 9 ft run. I know that’s obviously not attainable for everyone, but too big is way better than too small.

What is your general location? That will help us suggest possible solutions for keeping them outside.

@Newseramabreeder , good of you to read about keeping chickens. Serama’s need about the same as other chickens. And there arr plenty of good articles on this site you can read. Serama’s only need less space and need extra warmth in the coop in winter if you live in a cold climate. (Below 0 Celcius).

If you have 8 Serama chickens of about 400 grams , I gues they need about the same space as 2-3 normal sized chickens.

Many prefab coops sold online /at the shops are not bad for such small chickens in a mild climate. In a cold climate you need more coop space for the cold months because they can’t go outside much.
Anyway the 5 sqf run is too small. I would add at least snother 30 sqft run space for you’re Serama’s if you can’t let them free range under supervision a few hours each day.. Block the snow and wind if it gets cold.

Prefab coops often do need more ventilation too. Just drill a few small holes under the top roof.

I wish you can ask for a a better coop that is easier to clean for Xmass. Another possibility might be to rebuild it. If you send a few pics maybe we can help you with an improvement plan.
Or maybe you can keep the Serama’s in a garage with a daylight bulb?

If you’re Serama’s don't lay eggs in winter, the all flock crumble is better.

New Serama Breeder, while I applaud your willingness to jump in over your head and try not to drown, your handle and your facilities, assuming they are indicative of your intent (breeding Seramas) suggests you are already down the road that gives "puppy mills" such a bad name.

Whomever gave you this advice:

was full of "IT". Like your cages. Their advice (like your cages) stinks.

Time to re-evaluate. You need MUCH more space.

Or, you can disregard the advice of those who know better, by research and experience both. In which case, no point in asking a question here - since you've already satisfied yourself with your current "answer".
What would you put them in when you have very limited space?

Back
Top Bottom