Smelly breath & white discharge from mouth

Glykeria

Hatching
Jul 24, 2023
Hi, mum's got a small Silke cross hen who's had a clear/white discharge from her mouth every morning and sometimes before bedtime since May. She shakes her head to get it out. Her breath is smelly but not sour. No white in her mouth. She eats and her crop empties, I thought it may have been sour crop. Another friend said she might have a cold. She did have a heavy molt before this started. It is Winter in Sydney Australia. Apart from the breath and discharge she's normal. I've bought probiotics for birds which I've started her on today. Instructions weren't specific, 3 grams per litre is what I've given her. Should i make it more or less? They are given the best grade chook crumb but they barely eat it preferring lettuce, bits of bread and insects they find foraging in the yard. I've also made them a ACV, garlic and oregano mix but haven't started using that while i will use the probiotics. What do you think? I called the vet for advice on treating a yeast infection but they won't advise at all. They're put their prices up to $125 just to walk in the door. Elsewhere i read to give her tinea cream orally! Not keen to try that. I don't want to be responsible for killing her. Help!

So, I would get the best idea of what is going on before you treat, then you'll know what are the best options. Would it be possible to post a photo or video of her?

A lot of people will tell you to give garlic and oregano to chickens, but it confuses me because both can be toxic to them depending on the concentration and amount.

I don't think you can overdose on probiotics, but a higher dose may not help. That is safe to give at any time.

Let's start here. Here is an article that shows you how to tell if the bird has sour crop. Go ahead and put up photos or video if you can, too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Tenea cream is probably safe. It would contain miconazole or another antifungal. But if the crop is emptying overnight, this may not be sour crop. The odor points to something else, perhaps canker. If you are plagued with pigeons hanging about, they could infect your chickens with canker, a protozoan illness.

So, I would get the best idea of what is going on before you treat, then you'll know what are the best options. Would it be possible to post a photo or video of her?

A lot of people will tell you to give garlic and oregano to chickens, but it confuses me because both can be toxic to them depending on the concentration and amount.

I don't think you can overdose on probiotics, but a higher dose may not help. That is safe to give at any time.

Let's start here. Here is an article that shows you how to tell if the bird has sour crop. Go ahead and put up photos or video if you can, too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her crop empties so i don't think its sour crop. She doesn't look any different to how she always is, and if anything she's gaining weight. It's just the discharge from the mouth and breath. She's been this way since May.

No pigeons around. The hens roam free range all day. This hen likes to kill and eat skinks. Could it be that?

Let me be clear on this - when you pry open her mouth wide and look inside with a strong light, her mouth is perfectly pink and clear? If there seems to be any film of white inside, then I would expect this to be an infection of thrush confined to the mouth.

Either way, I would try treating her with copper sufate solution over the next two weeks. https://jedds.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-animal-science?_pos=1&_sid=a4fbab3a8&_ss=r

This is safe to give the whole flock to make watering simple. It should be the sole water source.

Back
Top Bottom