Smelly chickens!

Tamaram

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
I just picked up 4 14 week old pullets from a farm. I have noticed they smell so so so bad. They don’t have any sign of sickness and are in great condition other than the smell. I tried to bath one but she still smells. Any suggestions?

I agree w @nuthatched
It could be their diet.

It could also be that they have other issues...
Personally, I would make sure that:
They have a quality and balanced diet, that doesn’t have to be a ‘name brand’ but does need to be a quality feed that includes what your birds need
Oyster shell and grit, offered all the time and separate from their feed
Perhaps some probiotics, esp if you have had chickens before and this batch seems more stinky....
Watch for any bloody/ odd stools, or consider taking a few stool samples to a vet to rule out any parasites if you have a concern about that
....chickens are stinky in general, more or less so, depending in large part on their feed, size of your coop/ run, and overall health of your flock.

If you feel like you have a problem, please tell us more about your experience, your setup, and anything else that might be helpful so we have a bit more to go on 😊

Last edited:
What do the vents look like? Any sign of irritation? What does their poo look like?
How are their crops? Do they empty overnight?

Yeast or bacteria can cause bad smells. A healthy chicken shouldn't be stinky. So, I would take this seriously and investigate.
Try to offer grit and probiotics just in case it's their crops. Feel them first thing in the morning before feeding to see if they're empty.

I haven't had a problem giving them a quick dip on a hot day when chicks get pooped on overnight, but it's hard to get them clean because of their natural oils. So, I can imagine the smell being an external issue, but their own preening should suffice to remove any contaminants within a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom