Smelly Drake

Hello! Quick question....My Pekin drake, Chance, who is about 9 months old, has a funny musky smell. Even after a good bath, 2x daily in my bathtub lol. (He is a very fastidious boi lol) Is this something I need to look in to and/or has someone else had a similar experience? Had calls, mallards and rouens and showed them in 4-H and have had ducks most of my life. But this is my first time owning Pekins so I'm not sure if this is a Pekin thing.... Something to worry about, Or if Chance is just a musky beefy boi lol any advice is much appreciated and thank you in advance!
Food matters.

Dogs and people are the same way; natural diets low in processed foods means dogs smell nice without baths or perfumes.

That was not the question I asked, but because I have children, I do indeed wash my bathtub out after the ducks have been in it. Every single time. I appreciate the tip but I am not new to owning ducks. I know how dirty they are. Them being inside wasn't a choice. Hauling water to a kiddie pool twice a day is not happening. I have RA.
If I was overly worried about ducks in my jacuzzi tub, which I am not, I would clean it with TSP or salt.

Any time I do a soak, I add an ample amount of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) to the water anyway, which is going to change the hydrostatic pressure of the water to something undesirable to anything that doesn't normally dwell in salt water.

The 20th century war on bacteria has killed more beneficial bacteria, which keep natural bacteria in check naturally.

You cannot get away from bacteria; embrace the healthy natural ones and everything else will take care of itself.

That was not the question I asked, but because I have children, I do indeed wash my bathtub out after the ducks have been in it. Every single time. I appreciate the tip but I am not new to owning ducks. I know how dirty they are. Them being inside wasn't a choice. Hauling water to a kiddie pool twice a day is not happening. I have RA.
Chance is beautiful. My duck bathes inside, too. 😉

Wow hes beautiful! Picture perfect 😊 I'm not sure about the smell. Mine all have that typical bird smell. Maybe after his next molt the scent will fade away?? Otherwise, if everything is normal with him he must just have his own unique scent. You can call it his Chance cologne 😂
Aww thank you! I got lucky! 😊 He's currently in a molt so I guess we'll see lol I'll update this thread when he's done and report back if he still has his musky odor! Lol 😂

No worries. Sometimes, it's hard to say no to a critter that loves you. I have had ducks and Canada geese I have hatched out imprint on me. Even as a kid. Tell three geese that they can NOT get on the school bus with you. I have noticed an odor at times from individual ducks that I have had. Not all of them were friendly enough to get my nose close though. Those ducks did get to spend time in an outdoor pond though and I attributed it to just doing duck stuff in the mud. It well might be that it is just his normal odor as you say he keeps himself clean. There isn't anything I can think of that you could try to put on him as their natural oils from the preen gland are vital to them. Maybe try to get him outside for some serious sun exposure? Not sure if some natural UV might help.
He's been getting some sun lately as temps warm up. But maybe he's just a smelly boy lol he's healthy and happy otherwise. Thank you for the tips though!! 😊

Back
Top Bottom