Smelly Egg Problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychickengirls, Jul 6, 2010.

1. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    I dont know what the matter is with my chicken but her eggs have been smelling horrible lately. It is like having a stinkbomb going off when I crack it open in my house. The yolks inside the egg is black and very smelly. She has drippy poops on her rearend and her but is actually raw. They are free range and I do feed them table scraps and oyster shells. What do I need to do? Has anyone ever come across this before???? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Does she have access to grit or free range? Have you been giving her table scraps? I've heard strong tasting foods will make their eggs taste funny. When I see my chickens starting to get runny poo I put more grit out in the pen for them and it helps. Good luck.

3. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    One of my hens laid a really bad smelling egg the other day too, but I have no idea why. As fate would have it, it just so happened we noticed the smell when a news reporter was here doing a story on our chickens [​IMG] I smelled so nasty I didn't dare crack it open. If it happens again I will just to see if the yolk is black. I haven't noticed any other changes like running stool or anything. Mine are free range too, have 24/7 access to grit also, and are fed the occasional healthy treat.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has experienced this and what might be the cause.

4. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    There has been other posts on here about smelly eggs with black yolks. Do a search for smelly eggs and it should come up. [​IMG]

5. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Yes, and I did a Google search too and that's why I posted the question. What I've determined is that it must be something the hen ate. As for the op, not sure about the black yolk. I would be very interested in seeing a photo of that! I'm always open though for any other suggestions that would cause a smelly rotten egg smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by