Smelly fly trap things

mgharris30

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
East Texas
If I hung a couple of the smelly fly traps outside of my coop (out of reach) would the smell hurt the chickens?
Summer is always Lord of the Flies in Texas. This is my first attempt at chickens and they are REALLY bad.
(starting deep litter method. No smell that I can detect.)

As an avid fly killing woman, I have a bit of advice about the smelly fly traps, if you're talking about the ones filled with water that you hang. Don't hang it near your coop. They designed these to draw flies from a huge area. So, when you hang it next to your coop, you are actually sending out a message for 1/4 mile approx to come TO your coop. Most of them tell you that on the directions, and tell you to hang it 50-100 ft AWAY from where you want the flies gone. So, we hang them around the outside of our pasture fencing, away from the barn. Also, be sure to hang them NO MORE than 3 feet above the ground. Remember flies stay low. If they are 6 ft in the air, they won't catch many flies.

Now if you want something truly amazing to kill flies, either outside or inside the coop, check out Starbar QuickStrike Fly Abatement Strip! These kill MILLIONS OF FLIES! I get them for around $16 for a 2 pack, but here's what they look like: https://www.amazon.com/251000-25100D-QuikStrike-Abatement-Strip/dp/B0071DOVKE/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1VLCWG894IB0V&dchild=1&keywords=quickstrike+fly+strip&qid=1623698480&sprefix=Quickstrike+fly,aps,308&sr=8-21 When you get them, they have a tube of fly bait in a groove. You break it and apply it to the yellow red surface. Then put the whole thing in a paint roller tray, because you want those dead flies in the tray. If flies are bad in the coop, I'd put the tray with QuickStrike strip in it in the coop after all chickens are out. If you want another one outside the coop, put it in the tray on the ground, but don't let it get rained on or too much dust on it, because it shortens the lifespan. The strips last 3-4 weeks, depending on whether the area is dusty. In my barn it's about 3 weeks.

For a third item to get the nasty buggers, I set a trap that is sticky, but attracts a different type of flies near the Quick Strike Strip. It's called a Starbar Bite Free Stable Fly Trap. It attracts flies that bite based on being attracted by movement. It looks like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DEIL30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can't remember what I pay but they are cheaper through pest control companies usually. They last also about 3-4 weeks if you don't let them get wet. And this also needs to be about 2 ft from the ground. I try to put them in a sheltered area because you don't want to trap any birds or bats. See this video!

I spray once a month with Tempo ( https://www.amazon.com/Tempo-includ...ild=1&keywords=Tempo+SC&qid=1623699603&sr=8-2 ), and it really knocks down the flies, but you'd only want to do that after you cleaned the coop out and remove the water and food dishes, then spray. After it's dry, it's not dangerous to anything but flies. The flies land mainly on the walls, inside and outside, so that's where I spray, but don't let chickens touch wet spray. It will decrease your flies by 80-90% for 3 weeks, and the other things will help keep them gone too.

Hope this helps you and others suffering from flies. I have horses and ducks, and I clean everything, so I don't want to be bit while I'm working. I HATE FLIES! They carry diseases and make our animals miserable grr

If I hung a couple of the smelly fly traps outside of my coop (out of reach) would the smell hurt the chickens?
Summer is always Lord of the Flies in Texas. This is my first attempt at chickens and they are REALLY bad.
(starting deep litter method. No smell that I can detect.)
I have herbs planted around my coop that seem to be doing the trick(I live in central Texas)

Back
Top Bottom