Smelly Incubator

protodon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Nottingham,PA
This is my first hatch in an incubator I currently have 50 coturnix eggs and 3 of my own chicken eggs in there. Yesterday was day 14 for the quail so i removed the egg turner they were all in and put the quail eggs in their carton. Well i came back to check the temp which was going crazy after I removed the turner and there was this terrible smell. Like rotten egg smell. The funny thing is that smell wasn't there a few hours earlier or a few days earlier.

Now i know not all the eggs are developing so maybe this could be it because there was at least a week from when the eggs were shipped to when they arrived thanks to USPS. I randomly candled a few and the ones I did looked to be growing. I never candled them all because I am not sure how long the eggs can be out of the 99.5 temp. Which as I mentioned before, the temp has been going up and down as i removed the egg turner and I have to get it right again. I'm wondering if the temp could have killed them all in a matter of hours and that is the smell? I certainly hope not but now I am also worried that some rotten eggs might explode in there but I don't want to go searching through there for the rotten ones and mess with the humidity/temp so close to a possible hatch. I'm hoping they're not all dead! Any ideas?

Find the rotten egg before it blows. You are probably safer taking the lid off for a bit than you are are letting one explode. I wouldn't worry about candling. Use your nose. It's faster.

Oh-ho-hoooooo!! Get that rotten egg(s) out of there RIGHT NOW!! Quick!

Later on you can go back through this forum and read all the accounts of just how horrible a rotten egg smells when it breaks.

Good luck!
smile.png

Not to mention the slimy green goo that goes EVERYWHERE when a bad egg explodes and you clean the bator for seemingly hours on end while trying to hold your breath so you don't gag from the smell.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom