Smelly Run

kmdsparrow

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
Is there a way to make the run smell better? Should I be cleaning it? Should I put down some kind of chips or shavings down that I can rake up and compost periodically? It's been rainy lately and quite smelly. I don't want my neighbors to be bothered by the smell and in my world the neighbors are very close.

I use agricultural lime and Sweet PDZ when we get quite a bit of rain and my run gets a bit smelly.

Last edited:
Quote:
A wondrous marvel
wink.png
It is an absorbant natural material that people use in horse stalls. I use it in my coops. http://www.sweetpdz.com/our-products.html

Runs smell either because they have too much poo or are too damp, or (usually) both.

To address dampness, see the 'fix a muddy run' page linked in my .sig below (even if yours is not *muddy*, the same fixes apply, and will greatly help with stink)

Organic matter in the run (such as mulch, shavings, etc) can be a problem if it is allowed to stay there long enough to get damp and poo-saturated, although if you change it frequently or live in a very dry climate it can work ok. Sand is a bit 'safer'.

To whatever extent you can clean the run, of course that will help too.

And, not instead of but IN ADDITION TO all the above (especially you really should try to keep the run as dry as possible), you can till in some garden lime (not quicklime) into the top few inches of the soil, that is usually cheaper than stall powders and works about as well.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom