smoked turkey legs

shaggy

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Orange, Texas
it's football season in SE Texas, and one of the highlights for home games are smoked turkey legs

problem is ... i can't always go and most of the time i do go, someone forgets the legs

anyone have a good recipe to smoke my own turkey legs?

an idea of what i am working with ..

bbq pit with a round smoker attached to the side

as much oak wood as necessary ....

-- edited to add pic ----

2-OC20X48-closed.jpg

Last edited:
Well your set up looks great and should do nicely, contoling the heat is the biggest challenge. do not marrinade the legs just lightly baste them during smoking. do not get the smoker to blowing smoke hard all the time as your legs will become very blackened brfore being done.

Temp should 225-250 degrees for 3-4 hours depending on how many legs you have and there size. try not to dry them out though as this may happen your first time or two, the baste should help with this. Some folks use the Texas crutch, this is when there is enough smoke to flavor the leg then it is wrapped in foil and left to cook the remaining time. I suggest you try some first as a primer before the big day. chicken is easy so don't sweat it.

AL

Quote:
not exactly my setup --- just wanted to add a pic that looked similar to my bbq pit

the temperature part should be fairly easy, as i won't be using any charcoal at all ... just a wood fire in the smoker side

controlling the smoke will be the hard part .... the oak i am using is not seasoned so it puts out a lot of smoke

i am going to try for 12 turkey legs to start
smile.png

i will definitely try the texas crutch since this is my first time

........ should i marinate or brine them overnight?

i was thinking along the lines of:

1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup worchestshire sauce
salt
black pepepr
sage

-------------------------

i've been wrapping my meat in foil lately and then opening the foil about an hour before it ready ----- sounds like i have been doing it backwards

Back
Top Bottom