smoking and hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cutiepieacres, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I just got a box of eggs in the mail, they were packed well and made it ok. The thing I am wondering though is that the whole box, newspaper and all smelled of cigarette smoke. Obviously smoke isnt great for living creatures and eggs are porus, can this effect the health of my hatching eggs?

I am hoping for the best I really want them to hatch but when I opened the box it just caught my curiosity since I am not sure its somthing that I had really thought about before.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What would you do if they smelled like Mary Jane????

Sorry, I have no idea, but I do know that eggs are porous, but could they absorb 2nd hand smoke? Great question.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    second hand smoke will not hurt them i smoke and i have 276 chicken eggs set with a fertlilty rate of 89%to 100%

4. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Im not sure I would be as worried if they were "out" but the fact that these were trapped in a sealed in a box for three days, I hadnt even opened it before I knew the box would smell like smoke inside.

Oh and just to add I did not get the eggs from anyone off of here.....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm sure they will be fine...they may just fene for a cigg after they hatch is all...[​IMG]

6. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Quote:poor little nicotine addicted chickies, LOL!!!!

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They should be fine. The major damage caused by smoke is the inhalation of chemicals and particulate matter. Cancer causing agents and irritants found in smoke require years of contact and inhalation to really have a major effect, and even then, depends the response of the individual exposed depends on their genetics. Levels exposed to the eggs are likly to be insignificant.

9. farmerbrown

farmerbrown Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    SW VA
    I bet they smoked holding the news paper and it sucked up the smell. If the eggs have a dirty yellow film on them that would be different.

10. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    If any of the egg shells arrived cracked, you could use a nicotine patch to hold it together....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by