Smothered :-(

lauramp08

Hatching
Nov 5, 2015
I was unfortunate to find our smallest Rhode island in our nesting box dying. We think one of our bigger reds sat on her while laying. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? A bigger nesting box? We have 7 reds and 3 nesting boxes but they all use the same one. They get pretty vocal when its being used by others. Thanks in advance.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Sorry about your loss! what are the dimensions of your nesting boxes? I've had up to 4 hens all pile in a 14 X14 nest box, and I haven't had any issues. Are you sure she didn't die for some other reason?

Perhaps taking away the favorite box, and putting fake eggs in the other boxes will encourage them all to make another choice. We did that, and now they squabble a lot less over the favorite box.

She probably wasn't squashed, they sometimes go into the nestboxes when they are unwell to hide, she probably died from something else, I have had multiple hens in a box, they can just leave, yours was sick.

If I could describe her accurately, she would have been a runt. About 5 months old. She was in the nesting box with another 5 month but who was bigger. We figured she would get out if one of the older ones wanted in. ( as we were leaving the coop area one of our loudest was letting the world know she was close). After an hour we went to check the nest and found the little one barely breathing and eyes rolled in the back if head. Ended up passing away a few minutes later. Not sure what happened but guessed she might have been sat on. Our boxes are 14x17.

Back
Top Bottom