Snake Bite!

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
One of our dogs got snake bit night before last. He got hit hard because he went down before it even started to swell. He made it through the night but died yesterday morning. The river was up this spring till just a couple of weeks ago and I guess has driven a lot of them to high ground. We have found 4 or 5 of them in the yard already this year. One of them was 6 feet long. Living where we do, it's one of the known hazards, but it wears on your nerves a little having to watch for them every step of the way out to feed the chickens, etc. I hate to even take my grandson to feed the chickens for fear of snakes. Makes it hard to enjoy the country life.

Sorry about your dog. That is no fun. I read somewhere about someone's goat getting bit by a snake. She said she stood the animal in a stock tank full of cold water for many hours and this helped the animal survive. She said the vet told her she did the right thing. I wonder if that would work for a dog.

I've lived in the middle of a community of rattlers, and in a house with a cottonmouth nest under it. Wore snake boots outdoors to hang clothes. No fun. In the rattler house, people would dump their unwanted dogs by us. Probably half of them died of snakebite. They say the ones with dew claws are more likely to survive snakebite (or I may have that switched, I forget.)

I am so sorry that you lost your dog. In the UP of MI we do not have poisonus snakes. Must of hit a vein to drop him that fast. Sorry again.

In SC I have friends that raise Great Danes. They keep cases of Benydrl on hand as that can buy you time to get to the vets. They just start pouring it down their throats as fast as possiable. I would check with your vet and see what you would need to give to your size dog but hey it is worth a shot any way.

Back
Top Bottom