SNAKE ~~~~~~~~ FREAKED HELP!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by honeynajar, Jul 11, 2016.

1. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Sitting in my living room last night my husband notices a snake slithering across the floor. He was able to snag it with the grill tongs and take it outside. I have never seen a snake on our property. I specifically have 6 guinea fowl for this purpose. We feel that the snake must have gotten into the dog run and then into the house. Since the guinea cant get into the dog run. I've had the suggestion to use yellow sulphur in a line around my house, and moth balls. My concern is my chickens/turkeys/guinea/duck/dogs. So I need to be careful what I put about. I'm having trouble locating some yellow sulphur right now, is there anything else I could confidently and safely use around my animals? Taking any and all ideas here.......... I didn't sleep last night and I'm hopeful that I will be able to put something down to sleep tonight. TIA!~~~~~~~~~~~
    .[​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Trust me the snake is probably more aware and timid about your animals then they are about him.

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

That is an interesting looking snake...do you live in or around Florida???

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree - that is an interesting looking snake. I don't mind snakes... outside. I would not be pleased with one in my living room.

5. Rock Home Isle

If you look closely at the head and the skin pattern...that snake looks to be a species of Constrictor...like a Python or a Boa....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  6. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    I'm in florida so snakes are out 90% of the year here we have a 4 ft rat snake put back that isn't big enough to hurt anything but the eggs I'm sure it would love them lol but here bc I don't do traps n poisons we keep the grass cut weeds away and "stuff" put away buckets outside kid toys etc... That is the only one I usually see I'm sure it keeps the others away. Thankfully bc we get some doosys here water moccasins are like gators a dime a dozen lol if it seem to be a constrictor type or (if doesn't look poisonous at all) you can just dispose of it (I know not the popular answer but it is what it is)

7. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    No I'm in South Central PA. I've been told it's a Rat snake or a Hog nosed snake - both non-poisenous

8. Rock Home Isle

Yeah...It's a Rat Snake.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Should be able to get sulfur dust at about any gardening center.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by