Snake got all 2 day old Chicks, what to do with Momma?

StomperChick

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
I have a hen that hatched 6 chicks last Wednesday. A snake got all 6 friday night! The mother hen stayed around the coup for 48hrs but is now venturing out with the other hens. We have 9 eggs in an incubator that are due to hatch this Wednesday. We have snake proofed our mother hen coop today. Does anyone know if the mother hen will accept and care for the new chicks? Any suggestions on when to introduce them to her? While they are piping or wait till they hatch?? Thanks for any advise!!

If your hen has started to venture with the rest of the flock then she's probably not broody anymore and won't accept the chicks. Is your hen still puffing out her feathers and does she leave the nest often?

well, we decided to open the coop and let her out with the others by advise of a feed store manager. But I'm getting worried that it is messing up her "broodiness". I will put her back in the coop tonight and see how she does tomorrow. She was still puffing up and purring this morning. Is there anything I can do to help her stay broody for a couple more days?

Also, I thought if I place the eggs with her while they are piping and she could hear the chirping maybe she would decide to set on them, but I've ready that your not suppose to open the incubator until the hatch. I wouldn't want to harm the chicks before they hatch, so I guess we will have to wait until they hatch to introduce them to her.

If your hen has started to venture with the rest of the flock then she's probably not broody anymore and won't accept the chicks. Is your hen still puffing out her feathers and does she leave the nest often?
Okay, we might be in the clear. I cleaned the mother coop and replaced all the shavings and new hay in the nest area ( didn't want any snake smell lingering). I put her in the coop with fresh water and feed as well as an egg in the nest area. She inspected everything for a few minutes and then went right over to the nest and began to settle down. Hopefully she will accept the new chicks in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom