Snake got my broody's eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenfever, Apr 25, 2009.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Went out to collect eggs and my broody was out of the coop. I looked inside and there was a 6 foot long bull snake and only 1 egg in her nest. There had been three. We got the snake out and hopefully far enough away that he won't remember where the tasty eggs are. He had yolk dripping out of his mouth when my husband picked him up [​IMG] I don't know how long the hen had been off her nest, probably a while, but the remaining egg was cold. Here's to hoping she tries again [​IMG]

2. Fuzzy_Chick

Fuzzy_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Oh my gosh! Sorry about your eggs. Hope your hen isn't too afraid to sit on her nest again. Again, sorry, and I hope that silly snake doesn't come back again![​IMG]

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Ick!

4. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    OMG! That is sooo sad [​IMG]
    I am sorry you lost your eggs to a snake... were they about to hatch? Perhaps you can start her all over again. I did after my hen only hatched one chick. I gave her more eggs, and she is setting again and raising the chick at the same time... good hen:)

5. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Sure hope Mr.Snake forgets where he found his meal!! I have had them kill and eat my small bantams before [​IMG]

6. chickenfever

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks, she had been sitting on them for 8 days. After we got rid of the snake she did go right back and lay in her nest, the only problem is now there are no eggs.
    This was my first time with a broody hen and I was really looking forward to it. Do you think she will lay again, or should I put some eggs under her from my other chickens?

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you have some more furtile eggs, put them under her. She may hatch them. If she gets off the nest for any length of time then take the eggs. You may never know until you try.

8. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I would put more eggs under her.

9. chickenfever

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Yeah, I think most of my other hen's eggs are fertile. After they lay today I'll choose some and put them under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by