Snake got my broody's eggs!

chickenfever

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Arizona
Went out to collect eggs and my broody was out of the coop. I looked inside and there was a 6 foot long bull snake and only 1 egg in her nest. There had been three. We got the snake out and hopefully far enough away that he won't remember where the tasty eggs are. He had yolk dripping out of his mouth when my husband picked him up
somad.gif
I don't know how long the hen had been off her nest, probably a while, but the remaining egg was cold. Here's to hoping she tries again
fl.gif

Oh my gosh! Sorry about your eggs. Hope your hen isn't too afraid to sit on her nest again. Again, sorry, and I hope that silly snake doesn't come back again!
hmm.png

OMG! That is sooo sad
sad.png

I am sorry you lost your eggs to a snake... were they about to hatch? Perhaps you can start her all over again. I did after my hen only hatched one chick. I gave her more eggs, and she is setting again and raising the chick at the same time... good hen:)

Thanks, she had been sitting on them for 8 days. After we got rid of the snake she did go right back and lay in her nest, the only problem is now there are no eggs.
This was my first time with a broody hen and I was really looking forward to it. Do you think she will lay again, or should I put some eggs under her from my other chickens?

If you have some more furtile eggs, put them under her. She may hatch them. If she gets off the nest for any length of time then take the eggs. You may never know until you try.

Yeah, I think most of my other hen's eggs are fertile. After they lay today I'll choose some and put them under her.

Back
Top Bottom