SNAKE IN COOP. How would you handle it?

No, No, No, No and No!!!!
hide.gif

I was running a little low on eggs this past spring before pulled a couple of ENOURMOUS black snakes out of the coop. You could tell they were all pumped up on protein; they were so fat they couldn't pick themselves up to bite.

Normally I probably could, but maybe not so hands on. That was a good sized snake!

Didn't turn out so good for the snake that killed one of my babies. I had seen it around for awhile and I did have a rat, so I was happy to see it. Until the night the babies were going crazy in the middle of the night.

It's wasn't so much that it killed the baby, it was the fact that the baby was way bigger than it could have eaten. The baby was right about weaning stage. Right next to it was one that was probably small enough. Plus it was also starting to wrap around the hen that the babies were under. She is a small hen, but was doing her best to try and protect the babies.

Normally I leave the snakes alone, but this one found the baby coop and I assume would have come back. This was the first time I've had one get inside any of the coops.

Ummm... NO.

We do not get many snakes up here in my part of BC. Too cold, maybe. What snakes we do get are not the freaky enormous posion filled scary ones like down south. *shudders*

Quote:
Did anyone besides me notice that the brother wasn't getting too close, either!
gig.gif
I'd be the one in our family to remove the snake (I've even moved them off the lawn so they don't get run over by the mower.) DH isn't too fond of them. My mom is worse. If she sees one when she's outside working, she's inside for the rest of the day.

gloves???
gig.gif

Not me.. i just distract them with one hand then grab them with the other.. BARE HANDED mind you.. and yup.. all girl here!

black snakes don't bite much.. more like getting scratched by briars.. does more damage to them which is why I distract with one hand then grab them just behind the head with the other

personally i would have kept that one as a pet!!!
big_smile.png

I would find me a clai-ro-net and charm that sucker. When I got him standing up I'd grab him my the tail and whip him over my head and pop his head off. How's that for action?

Now my wife, she's the arm flailing, screaming, running for the house type. And she's from E Tenn.

Back
Top Bottom