Snake in my pond

Pics

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
Found this dude chasing frogs in my pond today. Think it’s a yellow bellied water snake. Eats cray fish and frogs and salamanders. All of which live in my pond.

Fairly harmless but don’t want snakes near my ducks. Anyone know a good way to get rid of snakes other than shooting them which is my wife’s solution 😂

Friend suggested styrofoam balls. Snake thinks they are eggs and eats them and it kills them. But researching these snakes they don’t really go for eggs. And with the amount of crayfish that live in my pond I don’t think it will be desperate enough to try something off menu

Someone recommended Ortho Snake B gone to Keep snakes out. Anyone have any good ways to drive and keep snakes out of the pond and yard?

Attachments

• 0DBF0C3D-796F-4FDD-A42B-8BAB0FAB906C.jpeg
    0DBF0C3D-796F-4FDD-A42B-8BAB0FAB906C.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 24E44443-DD9F-4475-88A6-E5F82086BF7A.jpeg
    24E44443-DD9F-4475-88A6-E5F82086BF7A.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 311
Alabama has a red bellied and yellow bellied variety

Near as I can tell they are basically the same. This one had a yellow belly. The shape of the head was from a non-venomous snake. And the coloring matches the Water snake

I would just catch it and remove it. That is, if your comfortable with that.

I could in a pinch.

It doesn’t seem like something that would bother my ducks aside from my female Pekin, Peep, is a bully and likes to attack things. The ducks only go in the pond mid day. The snake seems to only be active evenings so I don’t think there will be much overlap. But trying to find some options if we need to get rid of it

if i lived around you i would catch it.... what part of alabama you live...( i love snakes).... and they shouldnt hurt your dux....unless u have goslings or whatever u callem...

Just north of Huntsville in Hazel Green

As long as it won’t bother my ducks I’m good. My wife hates snakes and wants to shoot it. I’m trying to convince her that it will keep a worse snake like a cottonmouth away. But moving it out may be more to save its life In The end than anything else heh

yeah u live a long ways from me (north west fl) u no of anybody who can catch a snake if u dont want to? but the prob is it would never show up if you want it to....

Hmm. 🤔 How about this? Take the gun down to the pond. Set a while. Fire into the pond. Go tell your wife you shot the snake but it slithered into the pond and you couldn't retrieve the body. Assure her it is dead, though. If it shows up again and she sees it, tell her it is a different snake. 🤣 Just kidding, you should never lie to your wife. (If you do shoot the snake, don't use lead shot, that would be very bad for your ducks!)

Back
Top Bottom