Snake in run

mountainchickens

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Colorado
Hi! We have some week-old chicks and their mom who are outside now. Today I was sitting in the run when their mom raised the alarm. There was a snake slithering right through the hardware wire (I believe it's 1/2 in. The run is completely enclosed with it and it goes about 2 feet down into the ground). It was a decent sized snake for something that could get through the wire. I didn't get a picture, but I think it was a yellow-bellied racer. The chicks weren't very scared of it but it was scared of me and slithered back through the wire. I was just wondering if it's a threat to the chicks? Would a snake that small be able to harm them? Thanks!!

Hi! We have some week-old chicks and their mom who are outside now. Today I was sitting in the run when their mom raised the alarm. There was a snake slithering right through the hardware wire (I believe it's 1/2 in. The run is completely enclosed with it and it goes about 2 feet down into the ground). It was a decent sized snake for something that could get through the wire. I didn't get a picture, but I think it was a yellow-bellied racer. The chicks weren't very scared of it but it was scared of me and slithered back through the wire. I was just wondering if it's a threat to the chicks? Would a snake that small be able to harm them? Thanks!!
A snake that small is more likely to be in danger of the adult chickens eating it.

Back
Top Bottom