snake just ate my chicken

In another BYC thread I learned that putting moth balls in a plastic bottle hanging close to the ground keeps snakes away. I was told to drill small holes at the bottom of a 20oz plastic bottle, fill half way with moth balls & hang every 10 ft. around the coop area or wherever you want to keep snakes away. Someone else then stated snake away was crushed moth balls so this is the way I'm going with getting rid of my snake problem. Moth balls can be purchased at the dollar store :weee

I know there are mice around my chicken coop, I've seen them. Once I was cleaning under the nest boxes and found a mouse nest with a bunch of pinky babies. Before I had time to react, my chickens ran up, grabbed the baby mice and tore out of the coop. The chickens that missed out on the treat started chasing the chickens that had them and it was hilarious. Until then I didn't know chickens would eat something like that. Here are pictures of my rodent control. I have never lost any eggs or chickens inside the coop. I'm not sure what kind of snake this is: it's black with a light white pattern. Thought someone might know. I'm on the eastern shore of MD.

I know there are mice around my chicken coop, I've seen them. Once I was cleaning under the nest boxes and found a mouse nest with a bunch of pinky babies. Before I had time to react, my chickens ran up, grabbed the baby mice and tore out of the coop. The chickens that missed out on the treat started chasing the chickens that had them and it was hilarious. Until then I didn't know chickens would eat something like that. Here are pictures of my rodent control. I have never lost any eggs or chickens inside the coop. I'm not sure what kind of snake this is: it's black with a light white pattern. Thought someone might know. I'm on the eastern shore of MD.
That would be a chicken snake, just like the one i killed the other night, looks like it wants in pretty bad, lol, glad you have you coop very secure, because if there is a way in, it will find it!!!

he wants in BAD!!! At my house we call that a long black deadicuss!
big_smile.png

Yep! Another black rat snake. They will most likely be the most common snake around a chicken coop, hence the well-deserved nick-name. Beautiful healthy specimen at that!

Hey y'all! I spent most of my formative years in Africa and let me just tell you that we would treat EVERY snake as a poisonous one. Now I'm a mother and wouldn't think twice about shooting, chopping with a machete, wacking with a shovel or running over with the truck ANY snake I see on or near my property. :D Rats? Traps. We just recently moved to Louisiana and have found a snake a week in our front bushes!

Back
Top Bottom