snake just ate my chicken

Glad to hear you found the culprit and were able to rehome him. How convenient that carpet pythons are quite popular as pets. They get a little too big for your average snake hobbyist, but are quite docile if you have the space for them.

Hey Bush,

Here is a link to the

http://apbrwww5.apsu.edu/reptatlas/frames_file.htm
ATLAS OF REPTILES IN TENNESSEE
Department of Biology and Center for Field Biology
Austin Peay State University
Each species has click link to a map & photo + other data.
nice website....
Could be other snakes not listed, but I would bet the list is pretty accurate.

Also a cool poster on the Snakes of East TN:
http://www.tn.gov/twra/nongame.html
TN Wildlife Resources Agency has it & the TN Herp Society in case the links
dont work.....

Last edited:
i wouldn't say "cool" per say; having the phrase "Go Peay!"everywhere is kinda disturbing...think about it for a minute... OOooooohhhh...
sickbyc.gif
gig.gif

I just wish everyone would have the presence of mind to educate themselves about native snakes in their area, how harmless they are except for 4 easily-recognized types, and how simple it is to protect your chickens from them, as we do with other predators. I am very familiar with snake species, being that i am a lifelong reptile keeper, and I can honestly tell you that out of all the times someone has killed a "Copperhead" or "Rattler" in my area and proudly shown me photos....not ONE of them has actually been a venomous species. I have brought Copperheads to public presentations before, and asked the audience to tell me what species it is. It is very rare that someone actually knows what it is, though they claim to see Copperheads every year.

PLEASE, educate yourselves about snake species in your area! Whether or not they appeal to you personally, they have a right to live as much as any other creature does, and they are much easier to move away from/keep out of your coops as well.

Last edited:
I just wish everyone would have the presence of mind to educate themselves about native snakes in their area, how harmless they are except for 4 easily-recognized types, and how simple it is to protect your chickens from them, as we do with other predators. I am very familiar with snake species, being that i am a lifelong reptile keeper, and I can honestly tell you that out of all the times someone has killed a "Copperhead" or "Rattler" in my area and proudly shown me photos....not ONE of them has actually been a venomous species. I have brought Copperheads to public presentations before, and asked the audience to tell me what species it is. It is very rare that someone actually knows what it is, though they claim to see Copperheads every year.

PLEASE, educate yourselves about snake species in your area! Whether or not they appeal to you personally, they have a right to live as much as any other creature does, and they are much easier to move away from/keep out of your coops as well.
Yeah, here everyone kills "cottonmouths" or "water moccasins" that are just black racers or water snakes, not to mention all the scarlet kingsnakes and scarlet snakes that look nothing like a coral snake to me but get misidentified as them all the time.

Yeah, here everyone kills "cottonmouths" or "water moccasins" that are just black racers or water snakes, not to mention all the scarlet kingsnakes and scarlet snakes that look nothing like a coral snake to me but get misidentified as them all the time.
I know exactly what you mean. I actually had someone bring me a dead "Coral snake" a couple of years ago...in NE Kansas. -_- It was a piece of what was a beautiful milk snake, one species I haven't yet herped here.

Back
Top Bottom