Snake 'n eggs

Rvl Rookie, those are unbelieable photos! I know a lot of people don't like snakes but I think they're very beneficial. I've heard that rat snakes are rather grumpy and don't like to be held. Looks like you got a nasty bite! Must of hurt? I am so interested in snakes. When I moved to MD over 20 yrs. ago, the DNR said there were no venomous snakes in the state. I wondered how that could be. Now we have copperheads, cottonmouths and a few isolated reports of timber rattlers! Things change, don't they!! Your snakes are beautiful and very healthy looking. Is that a bit of pink on your snake or a camera thing? And I'm so glad to hear from someone that knows exactly what their "black" snake is! Somewhere on this site I posted a picture of a 7 ft. black snake that showed up on my coop. If you do a search for my user name, you'll see the picture. I'd love to know what it is!

If handled often, Rat snakes will become very tame. I used to have one that would sit in my lap, or wrapped around my neck, and stay there for hours while I watched TV.

Until I saw the picture, I didn't even know that snake had bitten me. Their teeth are so small, they have trouble biting through even a thin cotton shirt. The last time one actually got me, it bit my finger. I pulled back a little, so it cut instead of just making a row of little dots like they usually do.

It scarred up pretty big, and about a month later something kept snagging my clothes, like a splinter does. I got the tweezers, and it turns out the snake had lost a tooth in my finger. I pulled it out, and what I had thought was a big scar went away. LOL

Here's the tooth, sitting on a quarter right in front of GWs chin;

The color you mentioned in the pics is actually a nice orange. Next time I feed them, I'll try to get a better pic of that.

I'll see if I can find your picture, but I don't recognize a lot of snakes from other states.

I found these eggs in my potato beds and hatched them out in a bucket on my porch,wanted to see what kind they were.
I turned them loose by the garden after their first shed which was at 1 week old if i remember right.
Baby rat snakes
Found 6-30 2011

they all hatched , i think there were around 15 .

That's cool, zazouse. Thanks for posting those pics.
woot.gif

That is so cool. I didn't think it possible to incubate wild snake eggs! The little buggers have a lot of pattern. I thought most rat snakes are a solid color! The things I've seen on this site ...!!!!
I did not know you couldn't mabe thats why it worked LOL
i just put the bucket in the sun in the early morning and moved it to the shade during mid day when it was real hot, kept the mulch i found them in moist and wala they all hatched.
I did nothing more then mimic the same condition i found them.

I did not know you couldn't mabe thats why it worked LOL
i just put the bucket in the sun in the early morning and moved it to the shade during mid day when it was real hot, kept the mulch i found them in moist and wala they all hatched.
I did nothing more then mimic the same condition i found them.

Didn't have to do all that turning as with chicken eggs??!!! That's great! My old lady hens do gobble up small snakes as galanie said, like eating spaghetti. The bigger snakes I like to leave around to catch the rodents. Please keep us informed if you have any more snake pics.

Didn't have to do all that turning as with chicken eggs??!!! That's great! My old lady hens do gobble up small snakes as galanie said, like eating spaghetti. The bigger snakes I like to leave around to catch the rodents. Please keep us informed if you have any more snake pics.
I got turtle eggs out in the pasture, caught her laying them so i took some photos and put a brick over the spot, i never relized how many turtles lay in that pasture till i got to looking around and saw all the digs.
taken that day 4-26 2012

Back
Top Bottom