Snake 'n eggs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rvl Rookie, May 30, 2012.

1. Rvl Rookie

Rvl Rookie Chirping

Jan 28, 2012
    Russellville, MO
    I keep reading on here about people who have problems with snakes eating their ungathered eggs, but didn't think much about it.

Yesterday when I checked for eggs, the only one there at the time was one from my little Pencil Rock hen, and for some reason I remembered those threads. I figured my biggest snake could handle it, so I gave it a try, and it didn't take very long for that egg to disappear. [​IMG]

They're just cell phone pics, so they aren't very good;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Wow! I'm sure the snake was happy.

3. Phyrst

Phyrst Chirping

Apr 5, 2012
    eastern shore of MD
    What pics! You should post these at other places on the site too, I think there are some topics under Predators and Pests. You have an egg-eater! What did you do with this snake?

4. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They are beautiful. [​IMG] I like snakes, they can have all my eggs they want as long as they eat rats and mice also.
    Course i got more eggs and chickens than i need.

5. jeepgurl

jeepgurl Songster

Jun 4, 2012
    ewwww......................icky snake. awesome pics though. my chickens eat mice and chase pack rats. im watching them kill a sparrow right now on the security camera. they remind me of the raptors in jurassic park. especially the easter eggers.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That was a hungry snake!

7. Rvl Rookie

Rvl Rookie Chirping

Jan 28, 2012
    Russellville, MO
    These are pets. I keep them in a stereo cabinet, in my living room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. awesome snakes!!!

9. Phyrst

Phyrst Chirping

Apr 5, 2012
    eastern shore of MD
    They look awesome! Just curious if you know - black is the generic term we use to describe a number of snakes that have black coloring; ie black rat snake, black king snake, black racer etc. I can see a light pattern on one. Is it a black rat snake or black king snake?

10. Rvl Rookie

Rvl Rookie Chirping

Jan 28, 2012
    Russellville, MO
    These two are both Black Rat Snakes (proper names). I know most people use made-up names, and normally at random, but I don't do that.

They have cool looking patterns, but it doesn't show well unless they're distended like when eating. Here's some pics showing a bit of the patterns, including belly checkerboard pattern.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: