Snake people, need some advice please

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
I have a ball python we're had for almost 2 years now.Slowly but surely,hubby is working making a cool snake habitat for Slither.
We want to get Slither a buddy,but I don't have a clue if Slither is a girl or boy. We're going to get another ball python, from Petco.
Should we get another snake the same size,does it matter ?
They don't sex the snakes at Petco so would it be a problem if they were the same sex??
Thanks,Miriam

Hi!

Snakes usually do better alone. They really don't need a friend. With BP's it is a real science getting them in the breeding mood (light, humidity, slight temperature variations)... so most likely you won't get eggs... but males WILL fight (neck wrestle) and that could stress them out. It also can complicate feeding time since they will both be attracted to the mouse and may both try to eat it... It could get messy. With some snakes you can "bin feed" them but ball pythons can be pretty shy and might not be cooperative about eating when they're moved.

If you really want to get another one I would convince hubby to put a partition in the cage
smile.png

Quote:
Agreed, its really best not to keep them together. They might compete for heating, hides, anything and it wouldnt be good. I know with Corns they will even eat each other sometimes, but I believe that is when they are younger. Most snakes are solitary except for breeding, so I'd say if you want another snake, get another cage.
big_smile.png

I agree with them ...two cages ..or one cage that is large enough to be securely partitioned.

As for purchasing a BP from Petco ...why not look into www.petfinder.com for your area (just select reptiles and then put in your zipcode) ...or a Reptile Rescue ..or a private breeder? You will get a MUCH healthier animal ..well started ...and handleable, as well (not that BPs are little tyrants like some snakes when young
tongue.png
)

Also... when acquiring a new animal, please quarantine for a minimum of 3 weeks ..in a different air space (not in your home) ....especially if you make a pet store purchase.

If you need any assistance finding a breeder or rescue near you, just PM me here. I'm a rescuer ..and I know a few people that breed various snakes.
smile.png

Good Luck!!

Thanks yall, I really appreicate the advice. I didn't think about they might fight. I'll check out Petfinder & see what they might have around here.

We just want to make sure Slither is happy,he was a rescue. This guy where my husband worked got him to impress the ladies. :mad: He just gave Slither to us,because he wasn't eating & lost interest. Oh get this, he called him "Fangs"
roll.png

Thanks again yall for your help
smile.png

Miriam

Well, if you have any other questions just PM me... I used to breed BPs, red tailed boas, crested geckos and bearded dragons
smile.png

BTW.. if you have a heat rock get rid of it, they have been known to burn reptiles pretty badly. Your best bet is a reptile heating pad that sticks on the underside of the tank with a thermostat. Have a hidey on the heat source and on the cool end of the tank so he can choose. Also, they like humidity (helps them shed properly), so make sure his water dish is big enough for him to soak in... and if you can put the water dish over part of the heat pad to help it evaporate
smile.png

Oh, and if this is your first snake... be sure that you NEVER leave a live mouse or rat in the cage with him - the rat could eat your snake... seriously! The best food you can feed them is fresh killed or frozen thawed (if they'll eat it). Oh, and don't offer him baby chicks as a "treat" he might REALLY like them and refuse all other food. Which isn't a big deal when he's small... but when he gets big that's a LOT of baby chicks!!! Gets expensive!!
smile.png
If you can get him to eat frozen thawed rats you have it made! There are lots of tricks to get them to eat them... if you need help let me know!
smile.png

I could ramble forever... so I'll stop now!

Good luck with him!!! Those macho snake ppl make me grumpy! Oh, NEVER put a snake around your neck! For obvious reasons! Oh! And if you get a baby BP make SURE it has eaten at least once and isn't newly hatched... sometimes they'll never eat and just waste away...
sad.png

OK! I'm stopping now!!!
smile.png

ETA - more stuff!! Haha!! I couldn't stop!!

Last edited:
That's okay, I don't mind the rambling,lol.
I used to have two snakes, a red tail boa & a ball python 15 years ago.
old.gif

I don't have those heat rocks,just the under the tank kind. We feed Slither,it's fresh & my hubby "stuns" the mice & we do it away from his cage. When we first got him,he wouldn't eat the frozen ones,so we only use fresh mice now.
He's on our porch in the brooder,lol.That's his summer home. No problem with humidity... we've got plenty of that naturally.
gig.gif

When my hubby gets all the materials together,we're going to convert one of our windows into a snake place.
smile.png
The window is about 4 ft long & 3 ft wide.We're going to extend it out from the house with plexiglass.It'll be really cool.
Miriam
smile.png

Please remember as well that 99% of Petco's reptiles are wild caught, or in the case of the ball pythons "captive hatched" which may sound as if they are bred in captivity, but in reality, their mothers are rounded up, the eggs are hatched, and they are shipped by the crate over here. They often harbor numerous nasty parasites which CAN spread to your baby! I personally would never even partition a cage without the precautions I mention below.

I breed ball pythons, and each are kept alone unless going on a "visit" with a member of the opposite sex. And this is only after each and every snake coming into my operation goes through a 90 day quarantine period in a different room and extensive vet check, all during which I never touch the snake or its home without extensive hand washing before and after. There are several viruses that could potentially wipe out a very expensive collection, and the risk isn't worth it!

Quote:
While I don't believe in buying animals at pet stores, I can say with complete honesty that that simply isn't true of Petco. It may be true of smaller pet stores, but large companies like Petco and Petsmart get the majority of their reptiles from a company that is supplied by breeders . . . it works much the same as hatcheries do.

Back
Top Bottom