snake pics, ID on one needed

Black rat snake for the first one. 2nd might be a grey rat but doesn't really look like it.

Remember if you kill it there will be mice around and other snakes. If you aren't worried about losing chicks then just be more frequent in your egg gathering and leave the snake alone.

What a pretty snake! Great pictures, too. You are funny offering it a bantam egg
big_smile.png
Sounds like something we would do.
cool.png

This pic is from last year, same type of snake. Pic isn't the best,cause it was in a hurry.
100_1322.jpg

We don't kill snakes,not even the poisonous ones. If they are in the way,we just move them to another place on our property. There's no children here,just adults.We live in the middle of farm country & surrounded by woods.
So far, I haven't lost any baby chics to snakes.
fl.gif

We might be overrun with snakes after Gustav gets here.

Aaawww, look at that little face! I love snakes, I think I would have probably offered him another egg too
wink.png
. Anytime my brothers catch one we usually try to feed it before letting them go.
lol.png

Bayouchica I must say I love your attitude about the snakes (same policies apply here at my house!). The first two pics look like a gray rat snake and I concur with Beefy about the last one being some type of water snake, though not a variety we have here in SW VA.

Once you learn how to live with snakes, they are your friend IMO. Rat snakes keep rodent populations down and also take care of baby venomous snakes. I agree with increasing egg collection time to protect your other assets.
wink.png

We have a lot of rat snakes here and simply move them when they get too close to the coops. They pose no threats to people. Great pics!

Jody

Back
Top Bottom