Snake problem

rwwjsw

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
I have had 2 snakes in the last month in my barn think the 2nd one got into my quail brooder pen and took out all my chicks and I have not gotten a Guinea egg in several weeks if I spread some of that snake away around the barn do I need to worry about my birds getting into it or will the smell bother them any ideas I was almost bit yesterday so I want them out of there. Thanks for help or ideas

Quote:
Go to dollar store buy several boxes of mothballs scatter around your barn. That is what I did and I havent seen any more snakes this month. Good luck, VQB

Mothballs are toxic, and as they dissolve they will comtaminate the ground. Mothballs and chickens do NOT mix. And yes, they will try to eat them.

I have had to use a lot of hardware cloth on my pens to keep the snakes out. Feed is in steel trash cans to discourage the mice. Eggs get gathered frequently.

If you eliminate the food sources they will move on.

Please don't do mothballs. It has been proven that these do not deter snakes. They deter their food... which I guess in a round about way deters snakes.
hmm.png
However, they smell horrible and are toxic. Through a little bit of diligence on your part, you can eliminate their food sources.

Food sources and places to hide. Wood piles, rock piles, anything laying on the ground can be used as a safe place for snakes, who generally dont stay very long if they dont feel safe and are not able to hide.

Thanks I looked up the stuff call Snake Away on line it says it is safe for animals and humans but then it tells you not to put in the path of livestock so that is out guess. i will just have to take my time clean up and buy a new hoe with about a 12ft long handle

I've seen snake catching poles on ebay. Maybe worse getting one. Another good tool is a long broom stick with a nail in the end that is bend into a hock. Helps to pull them out of their hiding spots.
Katharina

Back
Top Bottom