Snake sleeping in nesting box

Quote:
Well, now you mention it, I haven't seen my frog tonight. I thought racers were fast. This snake wouldn't move. I would name it a possum snake. I banged on the box, I poked it, I picked him up with a hoe and he never really reacted. I thought I had accidently killed him. He disappeared when I went into the house for something.
As for posting the picture. I was trying to copy and paste the photo itself on my downloads. It's the text that you cut and paste. And suddenly it turns into a picture. He's so long you can't see his tail.
Frankly, I was very proud of myself for handling him all alone.

I have this problem in New Mexico, but it is usually rattle snakes. I hate going out into the coop in the summer, just for this reason. I had a 6 foot bull snake last year, but its tail was still out side of the coop, because he was so long!!!! I had to have the neighbor come and kill it because I was freaking out!!!

Nice snake. Probably not a racer, but could be a king or a rat snake. Black king snakes do indeed love to eat other reptiles.

From your description of it's mellow disposition I am gonna say black rat snake. We have had several around here for many years. They peacefully coexisted with the chickens for nearly six months before one found the gravy train. For about a week I seemed to be missing eggs. Then I found our buddy curled up in the nest box. When I picked him up to stuff in a pillowcase for relocation it spewed egg all over.

That one is living under a friend's hot tub about 10 miles away now.

Quote:
I can truly understand and I know I am not dealing with a rattler.
I think it is a black kingsnake and pretty docile. I also think it plans to return and it will then be relocated to my neighbor's.
Not sure I'd like a snake living under the hottub.

Quote:
You sound like me....I hate snakes....had one outside my chicken house and let it get away
hide.gif
now I have to high step it in there now and thats not easy these days
old.gif
getting fat and old is no fun.
lau.gif

Rat Snake, I had to send one to the Snake Cage in the Sky the other day, it was trying to get under a Broody and she had eggs hatching. I had no choice but to do it in.......
hmm.png

Well that gives me the willies! I haven't found a snake..yet, but I bought foam spray insulation to block up the rest of the cracks in the coop just today! An ounce of prevention..

Back
Top Bottom