Snake sleeping in nesting box

Attila the Hen

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Blue Ridge GA
I wondered why I had half the number of eggs I usually get. Today when I opened the coop there was a 4 ft black snake all curled up in a nesting box and a chicken in the next next box laying an egg. I don't know much about snakes but I assume it was a black snake. It barely moved and didn't seem afraid of me at all. I had a hard time getting it out of the box--had to take the whole thing out and dump it in the yard. I finally threw the snake over the fence wwith a hoe which was a mistake because that is not far enough away and I am sure it will be back. Not happy about this. Next time I will relocate it further away. My neighbor down the road told me to take it to his house as he likes them and they eat copper heads.

What, not even one picture?
pop.gif

I'm not sure what the problem is. I have posted pictures before. But right now I want to go out and see if that snake has returned. I heard a chicken rumbling. I didn't think snakes were nocturnal.

This serpent was comfortably coiled up in a nesting box inches from a laying chicken! Nice and convenient. Soft straw bed and handy snack near by.
Your icon is hysterical.

Looks like the big black racer we have living in our back yard. We scare each other about once a year.

I will surely keep an eye out in the nesting boxes from here on out. Since "ours" for lack of a better term has plenty of frogs from the ponds I wonder if it would be interested in eggs.

By the way, nice picture. How did you get it to post?

When I read your post, I thought you meant that your neighbor likes to eat copperheads!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Good luck getting rid of the snake!

Back
Top Bottom