SNAKE

Butterscotchbitesfinger

Enabler
5 Years
Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
:barnie:barnieI currently have 4 young pullets Butterscotch, Sky, Lucabelle and Dutchess. They are all around 10 weeks but lately we have had a Red belly black snake hanging around the coop as it gets quite hot in summer and so today we saw a Red belly black snake in our chickens coop. The 4 young ones hung around the outside so now I am concerned about their safety. Any advise on ways I can keep the snake away from them? We have a way of scaring it off but I am worried that they will accidentally threaten it and then will get bitten.

:barnie:barnieI currently have 4 young pullets Butterscotch, Sky, Lucabelle and Dutchess. They are all around 10 weeks but lately we have had a Red belly black snake hanging around the coop as it gets quite hot in summer and so today we saw a Red belly black snake in our chickens coop. The 4 young ones hung around the outside so now I am concerned about their safety. Any advise on ways I can keep the snake away from them? We have a way of scaring it off but I am worried that they will accidentally threaten it and then will get bitten.
Are you in Australia?

I know nothing about that breed of snake. But, we have a real problem with rattlesnakes here in West Texas. We found a repellent that seems to work at keeping them off our property. It is called Snake-B-Gone by Ortho. It is actually a combination of essential oils that confuse the snakes sense of smell and they go away since they don't know what it is. Also, it has a nice spicy smell that the birds seem to appreciate. If you do use a repellent make sure it is not sulfur based as that is poison to the birds.

Back
Top Bottom