Snake

Pics
I have 3 ideas. Probably the electric fence. I have a spare, high powered fence charger. I don't think it would kill the snake, but it would deter it I am sure.

Electric fence circuit on the ramp far enough apart that only something as long as a snake could touch hot and ground.

live snake trap/cage

Feed it ceramic eggs. I assume that would kill it, but not very nicely.

I have 3 ideas. Probably the electric fence. I have a spare, high powered fence charger. I don't think it would kill the snake, but it would deter it I am sure.

Electric fence circuit on the ramp far enough apart that only something as long as a snake could touch hot and ground.

live snake trap/cage

Feed it ceramic eggs. I assume that would kill it, but not very nicely.
Could the snake climb to the top row of nesting boxes?

I lost a few young hens to a snake and posted previously. After losing the hens I put an SD card in my Wyze cam. Today I noticed I was missing a lot of eggs, and the SD card paid off. See video. I have to come up with a snake defense plan.

Ignore the junk in the nest boxes. They aren't used and it keeps the young ones out at night.

The snake in the video is a completely harmless Black rat snake. They will not (and cannot) kill your chickens. They will eat the occasional egg and possibly a day old chick but they are incapable of killing and eating a full grown chicken.

Unless you have Burmese pythons where you live, your chickens are not in any danger. It's likely a secondary predator killing your hens.

The snake in the video is a completely harmless Black rat snake. They will not (and cannot) kill your chickens. They will eat the occasional egg and possibly a day old chick but they are incapable of killing and eating a full grown chicken.

Unless you have Burmese pythons where you live, your chickens are not in any danger. It's likely a secondary predator killing your hens.

Fairly sure it was a snake.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/odd-deaths-graphic-photo.1482096/#post-24699851

Back
Top Bottom