1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SNAKE!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Southern Chickens, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I came home to a snake in the nest box! It had eaten three eggs and was on the fourth! I went inside and loaded my 22LR clip as full as it would go, too mad to count. [​IMG] I marched out there and unloaded the clip into it's egg eating *@#$%^^&!!!! I know it was overkill, but I was ticked! Now I know why I have only been getting 5-6 eggs out of 9 hens!! [​IMG]

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    i drive 2 hours to hunt snakes and they just come to you!!

3. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Dang!! Unloaded the whole clip on a snake!! You really went hog wild!! [​IMG]

4. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    it was probably just a chicken snake....harmless but they eat chicken eggs rats and other poisonous snakes....poor thing..

5. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Well at least you can be confident that it is dead. [​IMG] I would have been mad too, thinking my hens weren't laying only to find out it was a snake.

6. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Quote:WHY OH WHY, would you hunt them??

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I would be heated to and done the same as you. LOL! One time I had a skunk in one of our nest boxes and boy was I mad! I started throwing pine cones at the dang thing (far away) so it would leave the barn and finally did and sent a few bullets in it.Dagone skunk! I was wondering why I wasn't getting eggs and my hens were all jumpy.I nearly grabed the skunk because I thought it was our black cat.I took off runnen outa that barn faster then a jackrabbit when it popped it's head up.Funny all the critters you encounter when there's chickens around [​IMG]

8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Geez, mon. Did you wreck your coop?

heh...a BB gun is more'nuff to do the job.

9. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Sounds good to me. I tend to buy into my deceased Grandma Tunnell's philosophy....a good snake is a dead snake lol
    I am losing eggs as well. Some days I get 4 eggs, some days I get 8. Had a hen setting on one egg, then the egg disappeared after about 4 days of incubation. Have torn the pen apart trying to find the culprit or where it gets in, but no luck so far. I put in golf balls in hopes that whatever it is will swallow those instead and die, but it must be too smart.

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    poor little snake...it was just getting a yummy breakfast! [​IMG]

You hunt them because it is fun! You get to pet them and [​IMG] them and tell them how cute they are! Then you put them in an aquarium and [​IMG] them or cut their little heads off and cook them and love them with some taters! [​IMG]

Mothballs will deter snakes [​IMG] ...if you can put them where the birds can't get them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by