Snake

Brooke Carson

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
Colorado
I'm super new to chicken raising and my chicks are still inside but we're about to move them out to the coop and this big guy (I think it's a bull snake?) showed up on a building next to the coop. Should I be worried or will he stay away on his own? Are there things I should do to repel him? I don't think he can get into the coop proper, but he can get into the run. I currently don't know where he is as he disappeared onto the property but I have a lot of acerage and I'm sure he's out there somewhere lurking.

Attachments

• 352537531_10231046378165502_4231265739422804846_n.jpg
    352537531_10231046378165502_4231265739422804846_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 159
It does look like a bull snake. They are actually beneficial to have around the area, they are not poisonous and they eat mice and rats, even other snakes such as baby rattlers. Make SURE your coop and run are snake proof however as they do eat eggs and chicks. Good luck!

It does look like a bull snake. They are actually beneficial to have around the area, they are not poisonous and they eat mice and rats, even other snakes such as baby rattlers. Make SURE your coop and run are snake proof however as they do eat eggs and chicks. Good luck!
Thanks. :)

If it can get into the run it can get into the coop when the door is open.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm realizing that now. At the time I posted it, I was just thinking of the coop as being shut all the time which obviously it won't be so yeah, he can get in there. LOL ;)

I would recommend relocation if possible. Bull snakes are generally great to have in feed rooms or gardens, but not the chicken coop. I've never lost my chicks or chickens to one, but I did lose a few eggs. He looks like a well seasoned hunter so he probably won't be looking for a fight with large birds over a few chicks. In my experience they don't mess with chickens except for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom