Snakes in the coop?

I found, caught, and relocated two snakes, today. One was a black snake that was too close to the guinea nest and the other a rat snake that had caught himself in the bird netting that I put around the run to keep chicks in when they were little. Both were about four feet long and the birds were afraid of them but morbidly attracted. I have found and killed two young rattlesnakes in the past couple of weeks, it's going to be a long summer.......

I killed a copperhead outside my run about a month ago. I ran a chicken snake off from a guinea nest...Lol. Kind of ironic, but hey.. what can I say?
tongue.png

I would get some metal flashing to put around the bottom of the coop. Not as a wall but just at the base. This is an old trick to keep them out the garden also. They don't like the feel of metal on their scales so they won't cross it. ??? worth a try.

I am terrified of snakes and I did my research on how to keep snakes away from flock and read somewhere that snakes do not like the scent of moth balls. So I put 5-6 moth balls in to a zip lock bag and made few holes for the smell to come out and letting the moth balls in so that the chickens and ducks won't try to eat them. It has worked so far. They're right, where ever there are mice, there will be snakes. I also read somewhere that chickens can eat mice. Rodents are smart, they come out at night when chickens can't see very well. So I put a light inside of there run so they can see but not bright enough so they can't sleep. That has worked, no mice, no snake ! Hope that works.

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think moth balls can be bad for the chickens respiratory system.... Snakes also do not like lime. (The poweder not the fruit) if you sprinkle some of that around the cage or some "snake away" that might work too.

They don't like the feel of metal on their scales so they won't cross it.

I have heard that if you slant a solid wall against the fence, they can't get over it

Neither of those things will deter snakes at all​

Back
Top Bottom