Snakes in the coop?

MadRanchTX

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
I finished my coop this weekend, sorry no pics I'll never be mistaken for a carpenter. I was planning on the deep litter method when a thought occurred to me. What about snakes. Coop has a concrete floor. Anyone have problems with snakes taking up residence in the litter or will the chickens take care of them.

It has been my experience that snakes are attracted to the mice that are attracted to the spilled chicken feed. Although common black snakes will actively seek out eggs. Don't rely on the chickens to take care of the snake because they don't always chase them away. The snake isn't going to get in the coop just to take cover in the shavings. Hope this helps.

Taking cover in the shavings is what I'm worried about. I live in rattlesnake country.

I added a sign one of my nieces made for me, "No snakes allowed" but in all seriousness try and keep the the coop and the surroundings as clean as possible. Rattlesnakes usually give a warning sign, copperheads are the ones I have found to be everywhere and anywhere.

welcome-byc.gif
to all the new eggs.

They can very well hole up in the litter. Not really likely but if you have a large # of them around it is possible. Depending on size of coop and design you could always roll up some bird netting and surround the coop with it to help keep them at bay.

Coop is a 8'x12' sectioned off part of an old 24'x12' block building. The one interior wall (which is block to four feet) and the windows are covered in 1/2x1" 14ga. welded wire. I could only find wire cloth in 24" wide rolls so I didn't go that way, I'll probably regret this later. That being said I believe the coop is secure from larger predators, mice and snakes are still a concern. I live in the sticks so we have everything Texas has to offer coons, possum, skunks, bobcats, coyotes, etc. I have cows, dogs, and a couple of coyote killing donkeys(man is that cool to watch) chickens are my new thing. After watching them grow from 2 days to 7 weeks I understand why folks say birds descended from dinosaurs, they sure look like mini T-Rex's to me. Absolutely pounce on the stray cricket or june bug I'd throw in the brooder with them. I would think small snakes would just be a snack for the girls, large snakes wouldn't put up with the racket for long. Can you hear me trying to talk myself into this? I'm very alert when walking into the barn or well house, the difference being there isn't 6" of litter on the floor. I guess you can build the fort Knox of coops but as soon as you open the poop door all bets are off. I'm just being paranoid or am I.

No you're absolutely not being paranoid. Odds are, you will find a snake in your coop trying to steal eggs or chicks at some point(I see you're in Texas).
We've killed more than one in ours. My birds were all sitting on the perch, petrified. These were big 'uns.
The little snakes, oh yeah, they don't stand a chance against a flock of chickens.

if the snake is a puny texas garter your chickens will beat his ass

if it's a rattler or something it might not go as well

I found an extremely small, non poisonous snake this evening right outside my chicken run. My chickens were ranging at time. I picked up the snake, and threw it right in the middle of them. They all talked it over with each other, and decided to leave it alone. So, I spared the snake and put it in one of my flower beds.

I was walking around in my run one day, and looked back just as I closed the gate. Saw a snake curled up right in the middle of the run. It was a copperhead, so DH shot it; didn't seem to bother the chickens any, but I watched my step after that, since I had walked over and past the thing several times. Guess I didn't look like a good snack.

Back
Top Bottom