Snakes Kill Chickens!

Yep....you touched on something that irritates the crap out of me.....

See...just as much as I try to push people to educate themselves and not kill beneficial native snakes....this deal in Florida and several other southern states has me fuming.....
w
Our government....almost completely eradicated the wild wolf population in this country....and ....who did they do it?

By offering a bounty....yet they spend untold amounts in taxpayer money by trying to have government agencies and employees solve the problem.....it ain't working.....

So....let the public at them....offer a

Edit: BTW: After spending huge amounts of money to nearly eradicate the wolf....now our tax dollars are working hard to re-establish them.....Just like our government spends $1,000 dollars for a pair of pliers.....buys 10,000.....then dumps them off for $2 a piece as "Government Surplus"..... Happy Independence Day all.....

1f440.png

Last edited:
snake kill chickens yes indeeddee, I think it's a case of eyes, bigger then mouth. The sign for me is the neck is bare and I believe broke.

I am sorry, but I have lost too many birds and bird eggs to these rat snakes. If they are so good about eating snakes why don't they do that and leave my birds alone. Now I have two chickens in a chicken tractor with a run. I am protecting them from hawks and coyotes. Three days ago there was a huge, long rat snake laying under a bush and yes I killed it. The next day there was another like it was grieving over the other one. Yes I killed that one too. Today there was a third one much bigger than the other two lying with them. I hope I have killed it too. It is still moving but I have had enough of snakes the last three days. I don't know if they are after my chickens but I have invested too much in them to let a snake eat them. People, don't start shaming me. People kill and eat deer and other wild things everyday. I have never killed any things but caterpillars and snakes and I will not apologize for it.

I too just had my first encounter with a very large rat snake. It came searching for eggs and in the process killed several of my baby chicks and one that was 18 - 20
weeks. He didn't eat them, just killed them. Luckily, I was able to put on my big girl pants and get him out of the coop and dispatch him.

Ive lost three hens, all over 3 months old, to a rat snake. It snatches them off the roost at night, kills them, and leaves their bodies. I finally caught it tonight! It was about to go for my full grown Easter egger hen. It is every inch of 6 feet. I'm fine with snakes and will happily share some eggs, but do not kill and not eat my babies! This thing has got to go.

I don't think every snake will do this, but it seems like once a snake kills a chicken, they will keep at it.

Ive lost three hens, all over 3 months old, to a rat snake. It snatches them off the roost at night, kills them, and leaves their bodies. I finally caught it tonight! It was about to go for my full grown Easter egger hen. It is every inch of 6 feet. I'm fine with snakes and will happily share some eggs, but do not kill and not eat my babies! This thing has got to go.

I don't think every snake will do this, but it seems like once a snake kills a chicken, they will keep at it.

I own snakes has pets.
1f600.png
I would relocate it away from your coop.

I had one too when was younger. Im a big fan of snakes normally. I hate to move this big guy because I know he has been here for years. A friend is going to take him. He will have over 20 acres of woods to play in. No chickens around.

DEATH BY SNAKE , i found my beautiful one year old Colombian wyandott hen dead 2 days ago with all her sister still in place sleeping around her from the night before & there was no reason for her death at all ,she was very healthy & a good weight & no signs of illness, but today the next day i lucked out & found the sidewinder rattle snake that killed my CW Hen , she actually save my life since because this tiny but deadly baby rattle snake is the most deadly snake in the USA & that snake was hanging out around my path way were i walk every night to go check on all my birds & this is the snake i almost stepped on the night before, so my CW hen saved my life when she saw it & grabbed it but unfortunately it bit her instead, at the same time she save me, i figured this all out when i saw one of my year old Aussie hens this morning picking up the body of that snake that was lying on my walk way, but it was only half of that snake that was left so it seems that my CW hen saw that snake ( they are really good hunters the CW breed ) & she grabbed the snake along with possibly some of my other hens & had been fighting over it , but my CW got bit in the process , & my hens killed it thank goodness , so here is that snake & i could see the snake still had my CW hens white feather in its mouth, & her white feathers were stuck to the half of its body as you can see in theses pic's, so yeah this is what killed my beautiful CW hen alright & im positive this was her killer. so my CW hen saved my life MY GOD chickens do so many wonderful things for us..!!!! because if i got bit i would never live im allergic to every medication there is , so my dear sweet CW hen really did save my life..! but died in the process..! sad but true

here it is

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom