Snakes..the only good snake is a dead snake?

Snakes have their place in the environment. Most eat the critters we consider pests.

Even venomous snakes have their place and get a bad reputation because of a lack of understanding. We don't have a lot of venomous snakes here in CT, but I welcome all snakes to the yard to keep the rodents, bugs, and slugs in check.

Snakes have their place in the environment. Most eat the critters we consider pests.

Even venomous snakes have their place and get a bad reputation because of a lack of understanding. We don't have a lot of venomous snakes here in CT, but I welcome all snakes to the yard to keep the rodents, bugs, and slugs in check.
I agree. Just not in my pens, not in my runs, not in my coops, not in my yard. I've lost alot of chicks, pullets and cockerals to them $$$. I keep the snakes in check for sure.

Get two pigs! I say two because they are herd animals and like the company. We have six.
Since we added pigs to our critters, I haven't seen a live snake. I don't know what it is, but the snakes don't come around much anymore.
I remember the opening scene to Lonesome Dove where the two pigs are fighting over a rattlesnake, so it must be natural behavior, but pigs are guaranteed snake repellant, and funny.
My two cents.

I just love those pics of your dog with your birds just beautiful, i have been working very hard with my dogs but never would they have a bond with my chickens...love it

I wish I'd of had a camera....one of my farm cats luv rubbing on a young pullet. I had only one young male intent on munching on smaller poultry, once poultry got his size he'd give up on them. He's now rehomed where his prowness as a hunter is appreciated. The Pyrenese pair patrol the yard, keep an eye on the sky and guard the homestead. While they are fine with the poultry that belong - others better watch out. Both the dogs and cats kill snakes and every one in a while there will be a snake corpse brought to the stoop. I've seen kittens eat them so mama must be bringing chow. Moles, voles, rabbits, chipmunks are kitty chow too. Even with all this, all my coops, pens, tractors have 2' high hardware cloth along the perimeter and all my feed is stored in plastic containers.

Any preditor within 200' of the house is toast. Even poison snakes outside of that are left to themselves unless they threaten.

keep your guineas safe till they get grown.guineas kill snakes and maybe they will indulge in a little payback.let the guineas keep them in check and you won't have to decide.

Back
Top Bottom