Snakes - what on earth do i do?

I'm sorry I was rambling and long-winded before (and on a snake rant!), and I think I was unclear in what I was trying to say.

The snakes keep coming around our house and yard, rather than the chicken coops. That's what I don't understand, and wish I could fix! The one yesterday afternoon was in a coop, but that was the first time out of many many snakes! Our dogs have mealtimes, so food isn't left out. We don't appear to have a mouse problem, we have lots of cats. Our old ( now abandoned ) house has mice bad, but I haven't seen a snake there since we moved out. Our new house has always been less snakey, until we moved in. Surely dogs can't attract them? I thought about hardware clothing our yard, which would cost a fortune, but I don't want to trap one in the yard if it gets in but can't leave. The dirt here is a real PITA too; it is rocky and sandy, so as soon as it rained it would make gaps under the fence.

Yes it was Maggie our new cur that got bitten
sad.png
I thought she was dead when I found her, but amazingly she might be able to come home soon. I really didn't think she was going to make it.

A perimeter of sulfur powder, available through a pharmacist, should keep all species of snakes away. You have to be able to sprinkle it as a perimeter though, see if your set-up will allow it. You will have to re-apply after heavy rain, so be sure to get enough.

Are all the snakes you encounter rattlesnakes? Do you have several species coming to your house? They are certainly very plentiful in your state, but something is likely attracting themto your house area. Maybe you do have a mouse problem, just not inside your house. They might be nearby, and in the process of looking for them the snakes end up right around your house. What time of day do you see the snakes usually?

I have read in several places that mothballs are toxic to chickens, although I do not have direct experience with this. I am interested to know if anyone else has info on this ~ especially if they could be good for repelling snakes.

Cara, sounds like you have a really dangerous problem. Although I am all in favor of fortifying my animal enclosures before I take more aggressive measures against predators, a persistent poisonous snake problem is a serious health issue for the whole family. Have you considered going out and "hunting" for the nests ~ or finding someone with experience doing this?

Jen in TN

My dogs have their rattlesnake vaccination and our chicken run is enclosed with 1/2 inch hardware cloth....I figure that's the best I can do. We like to keep the king snakes around...they kill the rattlesnakes.

I can't think of anything that would drive the snakes away other than what was already said. You might have mice close by which is attracting them:confused: You should watch anyone who goes outside.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I appreciate it! It really is a human hazard as much as an animal one. Luckily we've been ok, but there are others here who have been bitten. They are all Diamondbacks, in varying sizes. The one that got Maggie was 1 - 2' long, and the one last night was around 4'. Maggie got bitten mid-morning, Penny got bitten late in the afternoon, and Kodiak and Ladybird were bitten at night.

I told my husband we are getting more guineas LOL No asking about anything that can help keep away snakes. I have a couple but they are only babies, and I want to have at least one in each coop as a warning. I'll order a few so that we don't lose them all to coyotes!

Good news though! Maggie is coming home, we're about to go and pick her up! We spoke to the large animal vet who treats the ranch animals, and he is going to give us a kit of medicines to treat bites, since we're so far from town. He has the rattlesnake vaccine so we'll get them all shots. We'll have to do them in stages though, with 4 big dogs and one who hopes to be! Given the choice I think i'd move somewhere less snakey, but it's not an option for us.

I know someone who breeds great danes in SC. They have a posionous snake problem she keeps cases of Benodrl (spelled wrong), and if or in her case when a snake bites she pours a bottle down the throat and goes to the vet, if she thinks on the way they are getting bad she gives them another 1/2 of a bottle. It has saved her dogs more than once. She also keeps bottles of it in her car.

As far as being a snake attractor, I know how ya feel as I am a bear attractor, where ever I go they come. It is at the point where it is no longer funny.

i raise snakes, a good way to keep them at bay (even though its disgusting) try luring them away from your property with frozen/thaw rats and mice.

some people cant do that, but if you can it works about 75% of the time. (just put a box with some away from your property. i dont know what kinda of home you have, but if its close to woods place it in the woods.)

i see you have two guineas.. do they free roam? Everything I read says that they are great "snake killers" ... I would suggest getting a bunch more guineas and letting them work their magic!

Back
Top Bottom