snakes

Black snake, king snake, rat snake, black racer.....they all look the same to me. They are good for keeping the poisonous snakes away but one of those black bastards killed my baby roo. We rehome the ones we find.

People where I live just call them black snakes....because they're black.
big_smile.png

the picture i posted from the article is mostly black on top and on the sides it has some other color kind of like brown but hard to tell.
but from this post you can defenitly tell there are different names in different parts of the country for the same type of snake!
barnie.gif

Both pictureslook to be kingsnakes, If you really want to know what type it is National Audibon Society put out really good field guides. counting rows of scales can be tricky. Wife takes the its black, and I dont need to know anything more about it approach as long as it isnt poisonous let it go. I have seen quite a few snakes, but no rats or mice so I will keep the snakes around as long as they dont bother chickens. If you look at Southern28Chick's snake you ccan see the chainlink pattern white dots. While at boyscout camp the Nature people said you should spin the snakes if you dont want them to return to where yu ca ught them, its spose to scramble thier homing instinct so they will start new instead of returning to same place.

Quote:
spin them huh? never heard that but that is clever if they get near your chicken pen. i scanned the pic i put on here and the article came from "backyard poultry magazine" they show a kingsnake eating a chicken egg
hit.gif

Sorry, I know some snakes help with mice, rats, etc. but they are all "Copperheaded Water Rattlers" to me. They might not hurt me, but they will make me hurt myself getting away from them. Just can't stand the thought or sight of them. (And I grew up with Copperhead and Rattlesnakes being a common sight.)

Quote:
Just give the snakes some of your dh's homemade moonshine. That should do the trick.

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

no one is going to forget the moonshine thread on here
gig.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom