snakes

Godsgrl

Ostrich wrangler
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
at the zoo usually
Just a warning to be careful out there, and keep a close eye on your pets/livestock. I took my cat Bear to the vet today for an injured paw. I thought it was an abscess from a cat fight. I was shocked to learn it was a snake bite, and possibly venomous. So be careful out there, snakes are in full glory right now.

My hubby ran upon one in the yard the other day while he was walking to my greenhouse.
sickbyc.gif

Hope your cat is ok
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
A cat wouldnt survive very long if bitten by a venomous snake.
Id be willing to bet the abscess is from a tooth that was broken off in it.

I have kept copperheads, cottonmouths, and 4 species of rattler at various times thruought my life, and a bite from any of them would kill a rabbit in seconds, so how long would a cat last . . .

I have been bitten by snakes many many times, and it aint no fun when a tooth breaks in the bite . . . especially when it breaks off inbetween a knuckle joint in your finger.

There is also infections to worry about from this happening, from the bacterais in a snakes mouth . . .
Thats what the abscess would be from.

I hope your cat is ok!
big_smile.png

ps- where are you, and what kind of venomous snakes live around you?
Just your location would allow me to answer the 2nd part of that question.

Last edited:
Quote:
A cat wouldnt survive very long if bitten by a venomous snake.
Id be willing to bet the abscess is from a tooth that was broken off in it.

I have kept copperheads, cottonmouths, and 4 species of rattler at various times thruought my life, and a bite from any of them would kill a rabbit in seconds, so how long would a cat last . . .

I have been bitten by snakes many many times, and it aint no fun when a tooth breaks in the bite . . . especially when it breaks off inbetween a knuckle joint in your finger.

There is also infections to worry about from this happening, from the bacterais in a snakes mouth . . .
Thats what the abscess would be from.

I hope your cat is ok!
big_smile.png

ps- where are you, and what kind of venomous snakes live around you?
Just your location would allow me to answer the 2nd part of that question.

I live in the Southeast. We have water moccasins, coral snakes, copperheads, and several varieties of rattlesnakes. I understand about snake venom, and how it works generally. But the vet was saying that possibly it was a small dose of venom, not a full shot. I've only seen copperheads and pygmy rattlers around my house, (my son picked up the latter), but I know it could have been any of the ones listed.

Very true, your cat would of been dead already had it been venomous.

Please though remember snakes play a very vital role, there is absolutely no reason at all to kill every single one just because its a snake. Learn about them, how to Identify them, and how to deal with them. Knowledge never hurts anyone.

Quote:
Trust me, I don't. I am a zoo volunteer, and love snakes. They are very important to the environment, and I'd rather have a snake or two than rats. We love to see them in our yard, and leave them alone if we can.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom