BC179FEE-08FD-4700-B5D8-1481D32B7090.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • ACEAA687-1BBD-4216-A8B4-6E10CF491404.png
    ACEAA687-1BBD-4216-A8B4-6E10CF491404.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 59A1C479-A74B-4FF9-AA44-B086C7E809C2.png
    59A1C479-A74B-4FF9-AA44-B086C7E809C2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
So looks like the coop itself is 42 x 42(not including the nests)?
Way too small for 9 birds, especially given the lack of venting.
Keeping 'warm air in the coop' is not the issue.
They need a dry environment, not a warm one,
thus the reason for that moist ammonia laden air needing an escape route.

Your run is interesting, can't quite see all of it, looks like it has two sections?
Pics from farther away would show it all better.
Can't tell if attachment between coop and run is predator secure,
if it is might be good to just leave the coop door open 24/7 for more ventilation.
Thinking on other options.

So looks like the coop itself is 42 x 42(not including the nests)?
Way too small for 9 birds, especially given the lack of venting.
Keeping 'warm air in the coop' is not the issue.
They need a dry environment, not a warm one,
thus the reason for that moist ammonia laden air needing an escape route.

Your run is interesting, can't quite see all of it, looks like it has two sections?
Pics from farther away would show it all better.
Can't tell if attachment between coop and run is predator secure,
if it is might be good to just leave the coop door open 24/7 for more ventilation.
Thinking on other options.

It's an underventilated cave, maybe okay for three if ventilation is increased a lot. If you upgrade your predator defences, and have a roof suitable for your snow load, at least part of your run can become the coop, a much better option for this winter.
That means dig proof and no openings larger than 1/2" diameter, and very good latches.
The door into the run area looks like it has gaps around it wider than 1/2", so more framing there.
Mary

The run is 2 8x8 that are tied together with stainless steel custom (husband is pipe fitter) fittings-he had one of his Millwrights make it with specific measurements, 8” medical grade SS and fab to fit exact. I wish he would have made the entire coop and run to begin with lol. I think I will have my husband fab up a a screen door for the coop entrance that goes on your idea of leaving that coop door opened but still giving protection . Now I just have to convinced him lol.

It's an underventilated cave, maybe okay for three if ventilation is increased a lot. If you upgrade your predator defences, and have a roof suitable for your snow load, at least part of your run can become the coop, a much better option for this winter.
That means dig proof and no openings larger than 1/2" diameter, and very good latches.
The door into the run area looks like it has gaps around it wider than 1/2", so more framing there.
Mary
There are no gap in the entire coop thats would allow a quarter fit thru..perhaps just bad photo taking. Along the doors (top,sides,bottom) has SS 8” to keep the predators out. The entire base of coop has 1’ predator guards plus material cloth.

Last edited:
You have what you have, now you have to make it work until spring.
Don't get hung up on draft problems. You need air exchange. Open the vents all the way.
Chickens can take the cold better than you think.
If you can, water them outside .
but if you can't, don't fret about it.

The run is 2 8x8 that are tied together with stainless steel custom (husband is pipe fitter) fittings-he had one of his Millwrights make it with specific measurements, 8” medical grade SS and fab to fit exact. I wish he would have made the entire coop and run to begin with lol. I think I will have my husband fab up a a screen door for the coop entrance that goes on your idea of leaving that coop door opened but still giving protection . Now I just have to convinced him lol.
Sounds like my background, pharm industry, great resources.
Screen door sounds like a good idea for a 'quick' fix.

Back
Top Bottom