Snap Lock Large

You have what you have, now you have to make it work until spring.
Don't get hung up on draft problems. You need air exchange. Open the vents all the way.
Chickens can take the cold better than you think.
If you can, water them outside .
but if you can't, don't fret about it.
All water and feeders are in the run and not in the coop. Thanks for your suggestion

It's an underventilated cave, maybe okay for three if ventilation is increased a lot. If you upgrade your predator defences, and have a roof suitable for your snow load, at least part of your run can become the coop, a much better option for this winter.
That means dig proof and no openings larger than 1/2" diameter, and very good latches.
The door into the run area looks like it has gaps around it wider than 1/2", so more framing there.
Mary
The roof is part the same steel as the run, we added the corrugated roof to keep rain out. It’s pretty sturdy Nothing larger than 1/2 gap or opening. Im pretty OCD and carry my quarter to check often.

Is it possible to dig under the run door? If yes, fix that. @cmom had a critter get under one of her run doors once, and she fixed it. Mine has 4"x6" or 6"x6" beams there.
Mary
I sure did. I had a fox dig under a gate and killed several birds and dragging them out under the gate one at a time during the day. I put concrete pads under all of the gates and no more digging.

I sure did. I had a fox dig under a gate and killed several birds and dragging them out under the gate one at a time during the day. I put concrete pads under all of the gates and no more digging.
OMG-how horrific-so glad you found a solution to the issue.

I must say that all the wonderful feedback you veteran chicken keepers have been giving me is amazing and I truly appreciated all of it. I found this forum too late and the coop was already purchased and so misleading (Snap Lock IMO) but thats why I kept looking for more info because it didn’t seem right. So glad I found you. My husband (being an amazing fabricator) took the door off and cut a hole in it and is installing a vent. Pictures will follow sometime soon. I am hoping this will at least get us thru until spring. I will keep this in mind along with all other suggestions while ours get built. @aart They need a dry environment, not a warm one, The entire time thinking wet from rain not wet from what the chickens give off & really open my eyes.
We all thank you

Last edited:
I bought the same snap lock coop off Craigslist this fall. I keep 8 serama cockerels in it in my back yard bachelor pad. I took the roost over the door out because even their short little heads were up in the ventilation area. My coop is under our deck protected from north and west winds. I filled the bottom with PDZ and scoop daily to try to keep it dry. Can you build temporary plywood walls several inches out from the coop walls as a wind break? I have no idea if this would work but you could buy large silica gel packs to put in the coop at night to absorb moisture and dry them back out during the day. I’ve never done that or seen it done, just making that up. Or a labor intensive idea is to move the coop into a garage or shed and carry the ladies back and forth to the run.

I bought the same snap lock coop off Craigslist this fall. I keep 8 serama cockerels in it in my back yard bachelor pad. I took the roost over the door out because even their short little heads were up in the ventilation area. My coop is under our deck protected from north and west winds. I filled the bottom with PDZ and scoop daily to try to keep it dry. Can you build temporary plywood walls several inches out from the coop walls as a wind break? I have no idea if this would work but you could buy large silica gel packs to put in the coop at night to absorb moisture and dry them back out during the day. I’ve never done that or seen it done, just making that up. Or a labor intensive idea is to move the coop into a garage or shed and carry the ladies back and forth to the run.
Thank you for your suggestions, I like the idea of the PDZ in the trays, I use it now but at the bottom of the trays under the pine shavings. I cant move the coop since its bolted down and fabricated to fit the door opening, it would leave the run with a huge hole. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I would remove the top foot of the covering on the run. Fold it down or something to let all that foul air out and all the good fresh air in. The chickens don't spend time up in the top part of the run so it will be fine for them. If you do it at about your shoulder height you'll be able to easily check on them as well.

Back
Top Bottom