Snapping Turtles - Any suggestions on elminating them from our pond?

Eroc1_1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Over the past few months we have had some ugly injuries to our ducks caused by a snapping turtles. I need to get rid of them ASAP and I am not concerned about relocation. I know you can use fishing hooks/wire/nylon rope. I am open to suggestions. I have yet to see the beast/beasts but I know it is a BIG one.

Are you out in the country? If so sit with a .22 cal rifle. As much fun as plinking tin cans. The other option is to hooks with bacon tied to very fine piano wire. The wire is so they can't bite through the leader. Make sure it's deep enough so your ducks don't get caught.

We do live out in the country but becuase of the chance of a richocet....the .22 might not be the best idea. I will try the 'fishing' technique. I will throw it out at night after the ducks are put in. It is about a 1+ acre pond so I might have to put out several lines.

If you go with the fishing idea, buy a package of cheap .99 hot dogs and put a hunk of the hot dog on a treble hook and throw it in the water. I catch those turtles all the time when I go fishing for some catfish. Catfish like the hot dogs and for some reason the stupid turtles do too. You can feel the turtle messing with your bait and just give the pole a strong, quick tug and you can snag the annoying turtle and get rid of it.

Instead of a .22, try a good .177 air rifle.

Being a private pond, and if you have access to a small row boat(or jon boat) I would grab me some large sealable jugs, some heavy gauge line and hooks and set some floaters. Check them daily, rebait if needed. Cleared many a pond (well atleast lowered the numbers greatly) doing this. Used to check them to and from work and had folks standing in line for snappers for soup!

I use cut 4 to 5" bluegill or green sunfish placed on larger sized hook with steel leader then attached to heavy fishing line. Attach entire mess 1-gallon milk jug and toss into pond. Deploy several and check daily. When turtle caught, snag jug line with stick or other object, pull it in with turtle and get whole mess on bank. If turtle not to be killed, then cut fishing line and add another unit leader with baited hook to fishing line, then re-deploy. We transplant captured turtles to reservoir. I no longer eat them out of concern for pesticide content of meat. Use of 22 mm rifle likely to leave lots of maimed turtles running around.

check local laws.... remember to eliminate in a humane way.. remember you are on an open forum
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom