Sneaking little things

laseterlass

Songster
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Anchorage Alaska
The one week old chicks are in my sunny office. I heard a commotion and peeked in to see what was up. They all just stood there in thier bucket very inoccent indeed. I left the room and it started again. I waited for a few seconds and snuck in this time and caught them doing what resembled dodo bird take offs and landings. When they caught me watching they all became very still and innocent again. I am going to have to consider the enclosure in the garage sooner than I thought.
th.gif

Teeheee...
lau.gif
Just wait till they look at you all sweet and climb up your arm and you are sooo thrilled ,then when you start to leave you realize you are slicked with chicken poo.
gig.gif
Gloria jean

Wait for the "craziness stage" to set in. Once they are around 2 weeks old, it starts and you never know when (or if) it'll end!! They'll be flying around their brooder and jumping on top of each other...
barnie.gif

yeah... I don't like that flying around business. Whenever I lift the lid on my brooder a couple of my chicks eye the ledge of the brooder as if they want to try to fly up there. My fear is that I have to have the brooder up on stools so my dog won't jump on it so it's up much higher than most brooders and I'm afraid that one will "try" to fly up and out and not realize how high off the ground she is... and then be fair game for my dog. It's getting to be about that time where anytime I want to lift the lid, I'm gonna have to put my dog up. And they are only 1 and 3 weeks old. I'm gonna have gray hair soon!
lol.png

Mine are in a big round tub and have been able to get out with some effort for the last week or two (the outward sloping edge of the tub does make it difficult for them). Every now and then, one gets out and sits there on the edge of the tub before just hopping right back in. One managed to get out past the tub altogether and all it took was the dog peeking in to encourage the little bugger to climb back up and hop back in! They want to get up high and get out and explore, but the brooder is still "home" and provides them security, so they generally go back on their own in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom