1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneaky Chickens!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HokiFarmer, Dec 15, 2016.

1. HokiFarmer

HokiFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2016
    I have been noticing that my 4 adult chickens will sneak inside and eat the cat biscuits. I decided to do a test, I filled a container with 3/4 layers pellets and the other 1/4 with cat biscuits I chucked them on the ground in front of the chickens and after testing the two they all went for the cat biscuits. When all the cat biscuits were gone they calmed down a bit and ate the pellets. I was just wondering if this is normal and if cat biscuits are bad for them (they don't get much, just when they sneak inside)?

And if it is OK for them to eat when I hatch my owns chicks and they are 3-4 weeks old could I soak some cat biscuits in water to soften them and then mash them up?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Sneak in? Sneak in where your house? Cats eat biscuits? [​IMG]

Gary from Idyllwild ca here

3. HokiFarmer

HokiFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2016
    They sneak in through the back door of my house and in NZ we call them cat biscuits.

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh! Uhm, close the door?

Lol

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My hens used to eat a lot of dog food with no problems. And some folks advise to supplement with cat food to boost protein when needed. I don't see that it's going to hurt anything, but I would not make it a huge part of their diet.

Plus, for me, cat food is way more expensive than chicken feed, and I'm cheap, so I wouldn't feed them much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by