Sneaky hen snuck off to go broody. 12 days along. Break or raise?

She successfully hatched 4! She’s being a great momma. Very aware of where her babies are & super protective! Only one who can get close to her babies is my rooster.

Attachments

• 33158ACF-8B69-4DA2-A702-1065501DCCA1.jpeg
    33158ACF-8B69-4DA2-A702-1065501DCCA1.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B3A60348-3B14-4D6D-B3FB-6E9834F5A431.jpeg
    B3A60348-3B14-4D6D-B3FB-6E9834F5A431.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FD1232B5-49BB-4A99-948A-AB0F7858632E.jpeg
    FD1232B5-49BB-4A99-948A-AB0F7858632E.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3
Did she bring them into your coop....or are they still out in the crate?
She marched right into the coop with them like she owned the place. Beat the shit out of 6 other hens who dared to come over to investigate the chicks. Led them over to the rooster to show them off & he responded by crowing his head off! He’s been super puffed up ever since. A great dad. Will snuggle down with the chicks to give momma a break. She’s claimed a nesting box as her bed with the babies. Anyone trying to go in or near it & she will kick the shit out of them.

Ridiculously fun! And really the best way to raise chicks. Are you not glad you hatched them out! What fun. I love this hobby.

I don't know if it is still going, but a 50% hatch is (or was) the last time I checked the average. Yes, some get more, and some get less, and you can go a long stretch either side. But people turned in their hatches, and added it to the total, and over time, 50% became very constant. A great statistical lesson.

Anyway, if I get 50% or above - I am pretty satisfied, I who have had pretty poor hatches the last three times.

Ridiculously fun! And really the best way to raise chicks. Are you not glad you hatched them out! What fun. I love this hobby.

I don't know if it is still going, but a 50% hatch is (or was) the last time I checked the average. Yes, some get more, and some get less, and you can go a long stretch either side. But people turned in their hatches, and added it to the total, and over time, 50% became very constant. A great statistical lesson.

Anyway, if I get 50% or above - I am pretty satisfied, I who have had pretty poor hatches the last three times.
She’s being a great momma. I love it when my girls hatch out their own babies. It’s so much fun. I’m just keeping a close eye on her to make sure she keeps the babies warm enough. So far she’s doing great. One of my buff orphingtons loves babies. She never wants to hatch the eggs herself but is always willing to help with caring for them. She’s been helping out by snuggling the babies off & on when momma allows it. Rest of the time my rooster is more then happy to cuddle up with the babies. He’s a great dad.

Back
Top Bottom