Sneaky hen snuck off to go broody. 12 days along. Break or raise?

This it totally your decision to make. It doesn't matter what I would do, my wants, goals, and preferences are different form yours. It's what you want that counts.

Broodies can hatch and raise chicks in winter. There are some differences in really cold weather. I'll link a thread where Aart did it, she documented it well. You might notice at the end where she didn't think she'd do it again. But she was successful.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947046/broody-in-michigan-winter

Sometimes things happen. Chicks might get separated from the hen. The hen may be off the eggs for some extended period so they cool down too much. In warm weather that's not a big deal, in truly cold weather that could be a disaster. In cold weather the risk is higher just because things can happen and the consequences can be higher. That does not man you will lose chicks, just that it's more likely.

The 15 eggs bother me. After they hatch the chicks grow fast. Before too long all of the chicks won't be able to fit under her if a bunch hatch. In Arkansas I had a hen go broody in late winter, nights were still below freezing. Instead of the normal dozen eggs I usually give a broody hen I only gave her 8 eggs so she would be able to cover all the chicks when they were 2 or 3 weeks old if they all hatched. Only five eggs hatched and she was able to raise them all, but the number of potential chicks was something I considered. If a lot of the 15 hatch you may want to raise some of them in a brooder yourself. Are you willing to do that if the need arises?

You can get all kinds of different suggestions on whether to move her and when, I'll stay out of that.
I candles the eggs again and only 8 seem to be developing now. That’s a more reasonable number I think. We are going to let her try. If she’s successful then good for her. If not then maybe next spring she can try again. She’s a sweetheart & her momma is my best hen. Pure red speckled Sussex. She’s called Nessie short for nesquick! She’s a proven momma of 3 clutches so far & she’s only a year and a half old. Raises her babies till about 9 weeks old then she’s done. Then my buff orphington takes over & further mother’s them for 2 more months. Lol. I’ve got contingency plans for momma & the babies. I guess we will see.

I’ve got a Swedish flower hen that recently snuck off & disappeared. We looked everywhere for her for 3 days with no luck. Then suddenly she showed back up at feeding time! We just thought she had been hiding from all the cold weather & snow. Then she disappeared again for a further 4 days before showing up again. At that point we were pissed because she kept pulling a Houdini and getting out of the run. (Turns out she’s figured out our lock & can undo it!) Well yeasterday we found her & her nest inside an old metal crate we had on the property that my uncle use to use for his sled dogs kennels. She had undone the lock & squeezed inside. Made herself a nice little nest in there with old dried leaves. Complete with 15 eggs! All hers by the look of it. I candled a few and they ones I did all look to be around the 12 day mark.
Im worried that with snow on the way that her babies might not make it. These will be her 1st clutch she’s brooded. I live in Bend, OR so the snow here can get quite deep. I do have a smaller coop with an attached run that I can put her & her babies in once they hatch. It’s covered & the coop part is really nice & warm. If we decide to let her hatch these babies we plan on locking her in the crate with food & water so predators can’t get at her. Then move her into the small coop.
I just would like some advice on if I should allow her to become a momma or not. My 2 roosters she could’ve been with are my salmon faverolle or my pure Swedish flower rooster we call sunny. Could be beautiful babies.
Do it! Chicks are so much fun. I would probably bring her and the clutch into the house or garage if you have room.

I’ve got a Swedish flower hen that recently snuck off & disappeared. We looked everywhere for her for 3 days with no luck. Then suddenly she showed back up at feeding time! We just thought she had been hiding from all the cold weather & snow. Then she disappeared again for a further 4 days before showing up again. At that point we were pissed because she kept pulling a Houdini and getting out of the run. (Turns out she’s figured out our lock & can undo it!) Well yeasterday we found her & her nest inside an old metal crate we had on the property that my uncle use to use for his sled dogs kennels. She had undone the lock & squeezed inside. Made herself a nice little nest in there with old dried leaves. Complete with 15 eggs! All hers by the look of it. I candled a few and they ones I did all look to be around the 12 day mark.
Im worried that with snow on the way that her babies might not make it. These will be her 1st clutch she’s brooded. I live in Bend, OR so the snow here can get quite deep. I do have a smaller coop with an attached run that I can put her & her babies in once they hatch. It’s covered & the coop part is really nice & warm. If we decide to let her hatch these babies we plan on locking her in the crate with food & water so predators can’t get at her. Then move her into the small coop.
I just would like some advice on if I should allow her to become a momma or not. My 2 roosters she could’ve been with are my salmon faverolle or my pure Swedish flower rooster we call sunny. Could be beautiful babies.
If she worked that hard to build, hide, lay and protect her clutch it sounds like she deserves a chance to try and be a good momma hen! I agree wrong time of season, but when theres a will, there’s a way! Probably some beautiful mixed chicks growing in those eggs! ❤️

I moved a hen at about that point a couple of years ago. She is my perpetual broody, and she had found a corner of the coop that I missed repeatedly (under the nest boxes.) I scooped up the eggs and put them in a nest box, and when she went nuts, I put her in there. The moment she saw the eggs, she settled down and started moving them around. she hatched 3 babies in the middle of a snowstorm and raised them in the coop with the rest of the flock.

@Skyleen13 are they cooked yet?
She successfully hatched 4! She’s being a great momma. Very aware of where her babies are & super protective! Only one who can get close to her babies is my rooster.

Attachments

• 0CEADA54-F8E1-4017-A917-D2C0D92619B2.jpeg
    0CEADA54-F8E1-4017-A917-D2C0D92619B2.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom